Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:41:19 -0400
Hello everyone,

There's at least some good news for AB 363.  Some of you who have been
following this issue may have noticed that there was not a single opposing
voice from any animal or humane group-- the first time ever this bill has
not been opposed by someone in an animal rights organization!

We have just received a fantastic letter of support from the California
Animal Control Director's Association which states, in part, "We do not feel
that the objections raised by the opposition to the legalizaion of ferrets
are valed nor see the benefits of keeping this animal "underground".  The
reality is that ferrets have been and will continue to be cared for and
owned by citizens of California...." I'd asked one of their directors for a
letter in time for the WPW hearing but the board had not voted in time.
Finally, years of attending animal rights meetings in Sacramento have
finally paid off with a very rational response from this organization just
in time for our Appropriations Committee hearing.

We have also just received a letter of support from the Peninsula Humane
Society who had opposed legalization several years ago.  I take a lot of
personal satisfaction from this since I have, over the years, presented our
issue to their board, and to their staff at two or three meetings, and had
asked the director personally to take another look at the situation.  I also
rescue ferrets at this facility and have come to understand their concern
for the general welfare of ferrets and all other animals.  To other ferret
folks in California who have good relations with local humane agencies, why
not approach your humane agency with a plea for their support?  Mandatory
spay/neuter is a good thing for ferrets and is sadly a necessity for other
pets that are faced with euthanasia as young ages due to over-population.
Let me know if you are willing to contact your local humane agencies for
their support and I will help you if I can.

Thanks to eveyone on the FML who has taken the time to respond to the rabies
questionnaire.  This will be a very interesting hearing.  BTW, Jan's office
asks that only the people invited to testify come to this hearing since
seats will be availble on a limited basis.

Now, one more question for the FML readers.  Last year, when I was asked by
Ferrets, USA to write an article about the legalization efforts in CA, I
really wanted to broaden it to include other states, cities and counties.
At that time, recent legalizations included Massachusetts, the county of
Davis, Utah, the city of Plano Texas and the city of Grand Island, Nebraska.
Recently the city of San Antonio Texas (boy do the Texans know how to do
things, or what?) legalized ferrets.  ARE THERE ANY MORE CITIES, COUNTIES OR
LOCALES THAT HAVE LEGALIZED FERRETS IN THE LAST YEAR THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT???
Please let me know ASAP since this will be a part of my testimony on May 7th.

THanks in advance for all of your help and support.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER AND STATE SENATOR BY
VISITING THIS SITE!!  IT'S TIME TO CALL AND WRITE THEM TO CO-AUTHOR THE
FERRET BILL, SO ACT NOW!