From:
Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:26:44 MST
I have to speak in Amy's defense as well.  The person who had a problem
with it commented only on the fact that Amy bred and her ferrets were top
dollar and so on.  First of all, as a breeder myself, I can assure you no
ethical breeders is making a profit.  You have no idea of the expense that
goes into raising kits.  I did a charting once and figured up that it costs
me an average of $250 to raise a kit.  I also know Amy had some of the best
you could find, I wish I had been in a position to get some of hers before
she left the states.  The other part you totally missed was that Amy ALSO
did rescue!  I never saw Amys books, but I know for myself and some others
who do both rescue and hobby breeding, funds raised by the breeding program
goes straight into the shelter account.  It's kinda our way of the lucky,
pampered fuzzies helping to care for the ones who have had misfortune.  Amy
left the states due to personal reasons she had no control over, she was
not running out on obligations or bills.  She has paid off all but this
$140(? or so) of an over $1000 bill, and asked for some help.

Amy did a lot of rescue work, helped a lot of ferrets and did a lot of good
for the ferret community in general.  Even though I never had the pleasure
of meeting her in person, I could always call or write here with queations,
problems or just looking for info and she was always willing to helo.
Speaking for myself, if there is any ferrets out there that came from Amy,
private bred or rescues, who find themselves in need of a home, they are
always welcome in my home.