From:
Richard Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1993 04:40:53 -0500
>[log in to unmask] (Susan A. H. Benysh)

asks about declawing.

Declawing didn't stop my sister's cats from being destructive monsters.  But
one possible alternative that doesn't involve mutilating an animal is a set
of plastic caps that are glued on over the nail to prevent scratches and claw
damage.  I heard about these about six months ago and I don't see any reason
they wouldn't work on ferrets as well as cats.  They do need to be replaced
every so often, and they're attached with some variety of crazy glue.

(Oh and for ferret discipline at a distance, When I house-sat my sister's
monsters, I had a little toy gun that shot hollow rubber pellets.  They're
harmless, but deliver a pretty good smack at a distance and don't get things
wet like a water pistol.  Of course, being cats the message they got was
"Okay, I've learned my lesson, I'll never bite chunks out of your bicycle
seat again -- while you're looking."  Personally, I'd rather never have to do
it, because it feels almost cruel and unfair to dominate a creature that you
have such a physical advantage over, but I guess it's necessary if you're
going to share living space.)