From:
Richard Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1993 07:17:56 -0500
Well!  I'm impressed with the rapid response from all the local Ferret
parents.  (I also like the way people think of themselves as parents of
unruly children than pretending to be "owned" by cats.  Anybody else notice
the different paradigm?)  I'm sure that my mailbox will be even further
stuffed by the time I get back from Philcon this weekend.

So, once I make doubly sure that it's okay with my apartment managers, I will
go forward.  My next question is about pre-ferret preparation.  What should I
get and set up first?  Any Ferret-Proofing suggestions and areas I should pay
special attention to? (Fireplace! Major appliances!  Electric baseboard
heating!)  I plan on building a good-sized hutch, what size is good for a
pair of ferrets?  Any preferred design? (Balance light air and privacy, ease
of access and cleaning)  What other necessary supplies should I have on hand?

Bedding?  Litter?  Food? Toys?  (I know I'm going to get them harnesses with
bells)

I've heard of two local Ferret Shelters in Portland, Dave and Chris Mathis,
and Murphy's Ferret Rescue (Or are they the same?) and one vet recomendation.
Whom should I deal with?  (To help locals figure out who's close, I live a
few blocks from the Vancouver Mall).  Are there any health differences
between albinos and sables?  (What are the other names for color patterns?)

Can ferrets see color?

Travelling Ferrets:  I had an idea for litter training of having a sort of
backboard with a distinctive pattern on it (checkerboard?) around the litter
box that I would take when I took them places, something familiar that would
help them find the box in a strange place.  (Kinda like those bathroom icons
they put on the doors :-)  I'd heard about a guy in the SCA who had a little
board he could put on the ground anywhere and his ferret would go on that.
I'd like to have them trained well enough that I could take them with me to
conventions.