From:
Joanne Gelormino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:41:57 -0500
I have a five-year old male ferret with an enlarged heart and kidney.  He is
currently on 8 ml Lasix twice a day and one-half of a 1.0 mg Enacard daily.
The problem is he stays full of fluid in his belly.  He is eating Hill's
Prescription K/D.  He eats fine and still gets around but he is a little
uncomfortable.  His blood work was good in December.  My vet is hesitant to
operate, afraid of losing him during surgery.  He was considering removing
the enlarged kidney.  He feels there could also be a tumor in there
pressing.  We haven't been able to get an xray because of the fluid.  This
is an experienced vet who has performed numerous surgeries on ferrets and
encountered just about every illness.  Anyone who can share similar
experiences will be appreciated or anyone who can offer suggestions.
Thanks.