From:
bill and diane killian - zen and the art of ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:57:10 -0800
>From:    "@home" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Allergies 102

A bit of misinformation.

>People can be allergic to ferrets                      False

People CAN be allergic to ferrets.  Absolutely.

>If you really love your ferret, you will find          ????
>something else to be allergic to

Well since you can not choose what you are or are not allergic to
this non-answer is the only answer.

>From:    "Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret allergies -- AGAIN
>Ferrets have long been touted as the pet to have if you're allergic to
>cats and dogs.  It *seems* that fewer people are allergic to ferrets than
>to dogs and cats, but allergies to the ferrets themselves DO EXIST.
>Please stop making things worse for those of us who do suffer by trying
>to imply, or even say directly that they don't.  Leave the decision on if
>someone is allergic up to the person, their doctor, and the tests that
>will show what the body is reacting badly to.

Much better.  Allergies can range from mild annoyance to life threatening.
Sometimes you can find a way to live with them.  Sometimes you have to
remove the alergens from your life.

Our recommendation has always been for the person allergic to dogs and/or
cats to try being around ferrets to see if they cause them problems.  If
they can arrange an allergy test as Sue mentions that would be even better.
It is certainly worth a try for those who want pets to try ferrets if they
can't have dogs or cats because of allergies but unfortunately sometimes
they can't have ferrets either.

Best of luck to those that are unfortunately allergic to ferrets.  But
please do what you have to do for your own sake.  If someone has an allergy
to ferrets that can not be controlled or made tolerable, wouldn't the
ferret be better off with someone who can be healthy FOR the ferret?

Both of us suffer from allergies.  Thankfully any problems with ferrets
and our allergies are well within abilities to cope.  Bill has developed
an allergy to Pennicillan.  He used to be able to use this wonderful
antibiotic and enjoy it's curative properties.  Now the antibiotic can be
worse than the disease.  Things change and what people are allergic to is
one of those things that changes.  As Sue suggests, let's not be
judgemental.

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets