From:
"Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 12:59:15 -0600
Hello Michelle Lowe in the Phoenix desert.  This is Charlene Lowe in the
frigid wasteland known as Minnesota (currently minus forty degrees
Farenheit, windchill -85).  Regarding ECE and new babies.  There was a rumor
going around that perhaps Canadian ferrets showed a certain immunity to the
ECE virus.  Many people who had ECE go through their homes claimed that
their Canadian ferrets were unaffected or much more mildly affected.  You
might consider trying to adopt a Canadian or two (or seventeen etc.) It
seems young ferrets are able to handle ECE much better than older ferrets.
If I were you I wouldn't add an old or frail ferret to the home at this
time.  (Some shelters claim that administering colloidal silver to ferrets
that either have ece or come into contact with it either reduces symptoms
and/or speeds recovery).

Adding to the discussion of "how much money will I need to have a ferret?" I
think an equally important question is "how much time and what sacrifices
must i make to care for my ferret".  Many times when a ferret gets ill they
need round the clock attention in order to make it.  If your ferret
contracts ECE or another illness you will need to spend $'s at the vet but
more importantly you may need to cancel all plans (perhaps work and school
too) in order to give her (them) hourly feedings.  You may need to set your
alarm every couple of hours in the middle of the night to check on him or
her.  You may need to spend time making special recipes and tinkering with
them to see what you can get your ferret to eat.  You will probably have to
run from drug store to drug store to try and find the flavor of ensure or
pedialyte or deliver or enfamil or resource or whatever etcetc in order to
please your ferret into eating.  You may have to be there to hold your weak
ferret up so that he can go to the bathroom without getting it all over
himself.  You cannot leave a sick ferret in a cage for 8 or 9 hours without
supervision while you go to work or school or out...  At least this is what
I think (ditto for all other animals too).

Sukie Crandall - do you have pictures of your "wheelchairs" that you could
show us?  Sounds very interesting.  When our Edith was in a cast with a
broken arm and afterwards while she was regaining strength we also practiced
a bit of physical therapy and massage.  We made ramps all over the house too
so she could get where she wanted to go.  This is when we made an
upholstered ottoman that has a hole to access it from the bottom and many
levels on the inside to get to the top.  This way edith could get up on the
couch, but most people just think it is an ottoman.

My opinion on hot pepper as a deterrant.  I would never do it.  Never,
never.  In our area, police used to use hot pepper spray to apprehend
criminals.  It has since been banned as one man dropped dead from it and it
is now considered inhumane.  It has been pulled from the shelves at most
stores.  Have you put this on your tongue?  I am a softie and can't handle
much spice - but this is not hot - this is painful.  Now bitter apple and
bitter lemon I can take.  They are unpleasant tasting and I would avoid but
they do not hurt, bring tears to my eyes or cause heartburn.  I saw one
person say they spread hot pepper on the floor where their ferret pooped to
prevent such behavior.  This brought tears to my eyes.  Can you imagine
pouring tobasco sauce on this sensitive area of the body?  Poor little
ferret may rub his butt on the stuff or get it in his eyes.  Our Henry does
sometimes lick at the salsa during nacho time so maybe ferrets can handle
these spices but oh dear on the butt tissue?  OUCH.  And they do have such
delicate tummies being susceptible to ulcers and all.  Also just my opinion.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr, Charlene