From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 20:32:09 -0800
CA VET: Someone wrote looking for a CA vet.  Dr. Kawasaki of Virginia
recommended a vet in Castro Valley, though I'm not sure it's okay to post
names here.  He was featured in a national magazine, so it's proably okay.
He works with the CDFA and you've already been directed there.  Feel free to
write via personal e-mail though.

SNAGGLE TOOTH: To Michael about "Ferret", the cuddly snaggletoothed ferret.
We have a snaggletoothed youngster named Petey (Hi to the Petey who posted a
few days ago looking for a friend!  We could be pen pals.) He was a foster
kid, one of the handful of foster kids that came to us and stayed.  His
long, front teeth, upper and lower, are extra long.  His little lip and jaw
swoops down a bit to the left and twists causing the lower, left front tooth
to jut out, a bit sideways, and up over the top lip.  He wheezes just a tiny
bit when he sleeps, too, though wheeze may be too strong a word.  His
breathing is louder than our other seven fuzzies.  This tooth hasn't caused
him any problems.  He gained a passle of weight this winter and is now sleek
for spring.  He eats easily.  The snaggletooth and twisted jaw make him very
cute, though.  And he has a very, high chirpy dook, and squeels loud if
attacked by a not so comradish "friend".  For a long time we had to monitor
him while he was out because the four boys would gang up on him to make his
squeel.  But now they adore him.  We have some very gentle ferrets, but he's
the gentlest soul of all, and gives great, enthusiastic kisses.

He came from an extremely well-off family, the pet of a teen-aged boy who
didn't have time for him, though he tried.  The dad, however, abhorred him
and banned him to the boy (the boy's name is Pete, as was his ferret and is
his cat), Pete's, room.  Then he was banned to the cage.  Then he was sent
to the summer home on an island where a housekeeper with a nasal voice, who
detested him, fed him for a couple months.  Petey had one friend besides the
teen prior to his island banning, the cat Petey.  Mr. Petey hissed often
after coming to our home, and hopped around like a cat.  And to this day he
tries to win over the 16-lb 15-yr cat, by kissing his ears.  Petey brought
an entourage of toys and food, a royal purple hammock and spongy jumper, and
two great ferret cages (2- and 3- tiered) with him; cages that have come in
very handy during ferret ailments.  He came equipped with everything but
love and buddies, but now he even has a little girlfriend, his age, whom he
adores... the first ferret he's ever played with with complete abandon.

That's our little snaggletooth - Sneaky Petey Herman.

ECE: To those who feel people have been negative for bringing up ECE.  These
people, including me, didn't bring it up lightly or without great
consideration that it was necessary.  The whole story can't always be told
and unless the person is obviously meanly "spouting off" why not give them
the benefit of the doubt and let them speak up about their concerns?

A knee-jerk reaction of "flames, flames" to people bringing up difficult
subjects will discourage serious discussion in the future.  That's
unfortunate.  For instance, where can people go with fear of ECE or other
unfairness that may hurt ferrets if not the FML?  There are no
organizational overseers as with other animal groups, such as dog or horse
breeders.  We're it basically.  Maybe that's why some ferret groups so
freely and quickly scream lawsuit if someone calls them to task or even
questions their actions; to scare people who might dare speak up.  That's
not a fair community.

There is no test for ECE; it is cagey; and one can't be too careful.  If the
words of those concerned about ECE were heeded by some that's good.  That
the words encouraged poop checks and disinfectant wipes is a good thing too.
The point was never to "ruin a Good Thing", but to help insure it.  Those
who wish on the FML may read the limericks to their hearts delight, and
these are wonderful, but please don't criticize people for saying difficult
things, especially if they've stuck their necks out to do so.

Hugs for all of us who truly love our fuzzies,

Lynn and the Gang of Eight (and Schroeder Boat and Squeek, as always, in
loving spirit)