From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 20:29:14 -0800
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ...Bumperstickers and Limericks
>Okay, here's a really HORRID Bumper Sticker: "I Mustela you about my
>Ferrets!".

Hey.  That's one of my favorites yet!  I've always admired the poetry you
post (too) Sukie.

>From:  Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association
>>From:  Pam Franklin <[log in to unmask]> >
>>From:  Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>

>No flame here.  I completely sympathize w/your concern about ECE... all
>ferret owners should be made aware of the pain & suffering ECE can bring to
>ferrets & their families.  My family was exposed to the ravages of this
>horrible disease by someone who... denies it... She did admit that hers had
>been sick w/diarrhea a few weeks before, but claims it wasn't ECE because
>they got better.  Her ferrets were all babies & mine were all between 4 & 9
>years old & weren't so lucky... I feel cheated & I'm angry.  The short time
>I would have had w/my babies was taken from me & I can no longer take in
>rescues - all because of the complacency of someone who was fortunate enough
>not to have experienced the full devistation & heartbreak of ECE.

Thank you for your moving stories (the above and what followed) Juliana.  If
someone sees symptoms that look like ECE but a ferret owner is saying it's
the flu, I would hope that person would pursue the matter and speak up, even
at the risk of being flamed, especially if there were risk of further
exposure involved.  It's our responsibility as caretakers of these wonderful
critters.

Let's hope someone finds more out about this disease.  Bruce Williams was
researching it and had his funding cut, as it was not seen as a profitable
enterprize.  Is anyone else looking for a vaccine now, or finding out more
about how long ferrets should be quarantined?  Or if and how often ECE can
recur in the same ferret?

>I don't think anyone is really safe from ECE anymore.

Some people believe in exposing kits young so that they will not get ECE
when they are older.  But I don't think enough is known about the disease's
rate of shedding and possibility of occurence to conclude this is a good
idea.  My hope would be for people to try carefully to determine if they had
ECE and, if there is a possibility they did, to take precautions not to
spread it.

>From:    "F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Disgusting behavior
>To the folks who posted the unsubstantiated rumors and innuendo regarding
>ECE contamination at the ferret show in WA this weekend -- shame on both of
>you.... Please do not spread lies and gossip in a malacious attempt to get
>revenge.

Standing up for ones rights and the rights of others, including ferrets,
does not equate vindictiveness.  Revenge had nothing to do with my post,
though you assume it does.  Writing from firsthand experience I told it
like I saw it for the health and well being of ferrets and those of us who
caretake them.

If people had concerns about the spread of ECE or distemper at this show,
better to air them than not.  Gracious F., this has nothing to do with
revenge.  Can't you see that?!

>If you have a problem with one club or organization, then by all means feel
>free to start another.  But for goodness sake, please do not do it at the
>expense of the reputation of another.

But don't feel free to speak up when unfairly treated, or when witnessing
irresponsible behavior?  Again you assume malicious intent where there is
none.  Public groups can be complained about publicly, including ferret
groups; that's why consumer columns exist.  Reputations, good or bad, are
earned.

>Act like a responsible adult and put an end to this factionalism.  It is no
>accident that the most good has always occurred when people put aside their
>differences and cooperated with each other.

I couldn't agree more.  But putting aside differences doesn't equate to
ignoring irresponsible behavior.  Cooperation involves honesty and civility,
which is NOT how I was treated.  And I saw ferrets' health at stake as a
result.  So I spoke up as best I could.  I was willing to take the heat in
hopes that it would benefit the care of ferrets.  If certain groups are
unhappy about that, they're welcome to change the way they treat others.

Probably enough said about this.

Lynn McIntosh