From:
Megan O'Shaughnessy DC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 00:23:54 -0700
My $0.02: Though California is a FFZ, there was (at least) a verbal contract
to care for the ferret for the summer.  I personally hate the idea of a
ferret going to a situation where it might not be getting the most ideal
environment...but isn't this what shelters and state associations are for?
For educating new ferret owners (such as myself) on what is best for our
fuzzies?  IMHO it would be a far greater victory if this little ferret
could go home and, with some work, add a new, capable owner to the roster.
Mightn't you teach this girl and her parents?  And maybe encourage them to
adopt or buy another ferret as a friend for the first one??  That seems to
me to be the happiest outcome.  Surely there are groups in California who
could step forward to help this girl learn how to be a good ferret mom, to
do regular 'checkups' at home, etc.

If you renig on your verbal contract, you could potentially open yourself
up to an accusation of theft.  Whether you are ready to go to the chance
of that extreme is something only you can decide.

I don't intend to censure or flame; just tossing out my own opinion on the
waters.  Please take my words in that vein.  Thanks.

- Megan
--
Megan O'Shaughnessy DC ( [log in to unmask] )
"Progress in ethics is the only cure for progress in science."