From:
Susan Brown DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 11:03:29 -0400
Regarding the shelter ferret with large "lumps" on either side of its neck.
These lumps are most likely the prescapular lymph nodes.  The most common
cause in our area for suddenly enlarged nodes is Lymphoma.  They can also
enlarge in the case of an acute onset of viral disease and rarely bacterial
disease.  Your vet may be able to detect that all the lymph nodes are
enlarged by palpation.  (The ones in the neck area are easiest to see
grossly).  The high "normal" white count is suspicious.  You can certainly
cover the pet with antibiotics and Baytril is fine, however Amoxicillin does
equally well in these cases I think, however, I doubt that the antibiotic
will take care of the problem.  WHen looking at the white blood cell count
you need to look at the number or percentage of lymphocytes that are present.
 For our lab and many others a normal total white blood cell count is 3,500
to 7,000.  In my opinion, anything at 10,000 or higher is very suspicious in
a ferret.  The next thing you need to look at are the lymphocytes.  If the
lymphocyte count is over 60% or the total differential or over 3500 absolute
count, then we recommend a lymph node biopsy if the lymph nodes are already
enlarged.  The absolute count is obtained by multiplying the percentage of
lymphocytes time the total white blood cell count.  For instance a 10,000
count with 40% lymphocytes would be 10,000 x .40 = 4000 lymphocytes which is
high.  This is why you have to look at either percent or absolute because if
the WBC is only 3500 then it would not be possible to have a 3500 lymphocyte
count, but if 65 % of that 3500 is lymphocytes, then this is highly
suspicious.  In our practice, the MOST COMMON reason for an elevated white
blood cell count is lymphoma If you just had a bacterial infection going on
then the most prominent cells in the differential of an elevated WBC would be
neutrophils, not lymphocytes.
Sorry to babble on so much, but I would recommend a lymph node biopsy, or at
least some follow up WBC' even if the lymph nodes go down with the
antibiotic.
Chemotherapy is a possibility in these guys for the cancer .
Susan Brown, D.V.M.