From:
DONALD AND ELEANOR MEAD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 00:05:09 -0400
I find the easiest way to medicate a ferret is to make him or her enjoy
their medication!  You might want to talk to your vet first to make sure
it is ok to combine their meds or mix with water before doing so.  What
I do is get a bunch of the tiny plastic cups with lids that chinese
restaurants give you with take out for their hot mustard and use them
for mixing and for keeping pre-cut prednisone pills in.  I make little
medicine cocktails for the ferrets on medications.  I drop the precut
dose of pred w about 3/4 ML of water in the cup, let it sit for a few
minutes till it dissolves, mix it around, add about 1/4 ML or less of
Ferretone, mix it up and suck it all up in the syringe, bring some
ferretone with me, scruff the weasel, wipe a good taste of the straight
Ferretone on his lips (my sister taught me that one), and syringe the
meds in !  , at the end of meds, give his lips another little wipe of
Ferretone as a "good boy treat"!  As for multiple medications, I have one
ferret that has 4 different things in one dose and this is how he takes
it and enjoys it twice a day!  I have another that is on a prescription
allergy medication twice a day.  He gets.30 ML of the liquid that smells
awful and I'm sure tastes awful, but I add .70 ferretone and he looks
forward to it twice a day !  If they have to take pills, try a little
margerine to help it slide down or a little ferrevite or hairball remedy.
Anything to make life easier for us and them!

Eleanor Mead