From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:35:39 EDT
>From:    Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Getting Reimbursed from Petco, other stuff
>
>Now, recently, I have read some posts by two shelter operators on the
>whole ADV issue.  I was very appalled that these two shelter operators
>feel that ferrets who have ADV should be euthanized.  One has clearly
>stated that she would euthanize any ferret (including her own) that
>turned up positive.

Danielle -
I am the owner of 9 ADV+ ferrets, and have been living with ADV in my
house for 3 years now.  I have continually worked these last 3 years to
educate people about ADV, and to raise funding for research on ADV.  And,
while I do not believe in euthanizing all ferrets that test positive, I
can certainly understand why some shelters might have to make that kind
of decision.  The first duty of any good shelter is to protect the health
and welfare of the ferrets in their care.  They have a responsibility to
those ferrets already with them.  If that means euthanizing a single
ferret that could potentially infect the remaining ferrets with a deadly
disease, then that is what should be done.  No ferret should have to be
exposed to ADV - and when a ferret with ADV is shedding the disease, it
is highly contagious.

Not all shelters have the kind of facility that would allow them to keep
both ADV positive and negative ferrets - in fact, probably very few do.
From my own experience with the disease, you need to have totally separate
areas both for housing the ferrets, and for storing things like bedding
and litterpans between use.  And, as you go between the 2, you have to
have some sort of scrub room to change clothing and shower.  The 2
shelters you spoke of do not have any ADV+ shelters in their area, nor do
they have foster homes that are ADV+ that they work with.  What are they
supposed to do?

Now, I suppose you could argue that if the ferret tests positive, the
shelter should just return it to the owner.  Well, first of all, I know
these 2 shelters personally, and many of their intakes are not from
private owners, but from county animal shelters that do not have the
training or facilities to deal with ferrets.  What do you think the county
shelter will do?  Most likely they will euthanize the ferret anyway, if
they are told it has a contagious and deadly virus.  Does it matter who
makes the final decision?  And, if the ferret does come in from a private
owner, is turning the ferret back really a good idea.  If the owner turned
it in to begin with, they don't want the ferret, and are likely going to
just turn it in to another shelter, or worse, turn it loose.  Either way,
there is more risk of additional infection of ferrets.

Neither of these shelters made their decision lightly.  And, because they
are both 501(c)(3) organizations, the decision was not made by a single
individual, but by the shelters' board of directors.  I hope that neither
shelter sees the day that they have to carry out this policy, but I
understand why they have it.

Euthanizing my own ferrets was never a choice for me.  They are my
children, the same as my son.  But, I can protect other ferrets from them.

I applaud shelters for thinking about how they will handle the situation
if an ADV+ ferret ever comes to their door, and for having a plan in place
to deal with it.  And, some shelters do have the facilities to house both
negatives and positives safely.  Unfortunately, I think there are some
shelters that are keeping both, and are not doing it in a safe manner.
Those are the shelters I worry about.

Danielle - you were at the Symposium, and you heard Dr. Stevenson's talk.
The ferret she spoke about is my Moonshine.  Moonshine has never been
sick - has never shown any symptoms of ADV.  And, for a while at first,
we knew he was not shedding the disease.  But, as you know from hearing
the talk, that has changed.  Yet, there are no outward signs that anything
has changed.  That is the danger of ADV.  A completely normal and healthy
LOOKING ferret can infect other ferrets with a deadly disease.  And, he
doesn't even have to come in direct contact with them to do it.

Danielle - you should stay out of things that you obviously don't
understand.  And yes, I am sure SOS knows about these shelters policies,
since some of them are members of the ADVList.

Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit
http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom