From:
Melissa Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 21:24:14 -0500
First I want to say that the Embarassing Ferret stories are absolutely
hilarious.  I want you guys to know that you have made my week!!

Leave it up to a ferret to know when to make the grand entrance and show
off their prizes!!

Now to my question.  I have seen a great deal of posts about hair loss,
mostly when discussing adrenal disease.  This is never far from my mind
when dealing with my ferrets.  Everything I have read about it says that
the hair loss associated with the disease starts on the tail and moves up
toward the head.  I am sure this isn't always the case, so I am always
paying attention.

I noticed yesterday Yoda had a bald patch on his back.  It is about the
size of a quarter maybe slightly larger.  He also had some crusty orange
specks.  I read on ferret central that this is caused when something
effects the hair growth.  It basically sounded like it could be anything,
and it was kind of general.  I gave Yoda a bath to make sure fleas weren't
the problem.  Now that he is fluffy and the orange crusties are gone, the
bald spot is hardly noticeable.  I am also trying to keep in mind that it
is shedding season and all three of my ferrets plus my dog are shedding
like crazy now.  Ferret Central also mentioned something about a skin
fungus that ferret sometimes get.

So basically what I want to know is Has anyone had any experiences with
hair loss of this type, and what was the outcome?

I am keeping adrenal disease in mind because you just never can tell.  But
I would like to hear from anyone who has had problems with their ferret
getting the skin fungus.  Was there an unsual odor, and what did the
ferret's skin look like?

Thanks,

Melissa Warren