From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:56:39 -0400
Jen-

I can think of another ferret hazard that I don't see listed.  Last week,
my boy Digby caught his foot in one of those plastic milk crates that
people use to store things in.  I had gotten some video tapes from a
friend kept in the milk crates, and so two of the milk crates were sitting
empty in my living room.  The ferrets had crawled in and out of them
several times and never got in trouble, so I thought that they were no
problem.  Then I heard Digby screaming in pain and rushed over to him.
He was in the top one, and his foot had gotten trapped.

His toes were on top of the hole, and his "heel" was down below the
surface and jammed against the edge of the plastic bars.  I tried to
slide it loose, but couldn't get him out.  Luckily, my husband asked
"Can we cut him out?" and he held Digby still while my daughter held
the box up, and I ran for the wire cutters.  I was able to cut the
plastic and pull out a piece that freed his foot.  He went limp in my
arms from the shock for a few minutes.  When we put him on the floor
after comforting him, he would not put weight on the foot.  So, it was
off to the vets with him right away.

He was X-rayed and examined...he was very lucky.  He just had a bone
bruise on his one ankle bone.  There was a slightly whiter spot on the
bone, but the vet could move the ankle without Digby showing a lot of
pain, and he started to walk with weight on both legs while he was at the
doctor's office.  I shudder to think what would have happened if he had
been free range and I hadn't been supervising him while he played.  He
could have very well broken his leg or hip trying to get free, or at
least dislocated it.  I've moved the milk crates to our recreation room,
and will not allow the ferrets in there until I've filled them up with
the video tapes so there are no more holes to get their feet caught in.
Digby is on pred for the next 7-10 days to reduce the swelling, and he
was on cage rest for two days.

Just one more thing to add to the list of possible hazards.  While I was
talking with the vet tech, she said that a good thing to have in the
house is a coping saw.  That way you can cut a pet free that is trapped
in an awkward place.  I'm definitely going to make sure that I know where
our saw and wire cutters are at all times.  You never know when you might
need them.  It makes sense to keep them by your emergency flashlight.

Melodyt and the elven eight