Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 00:45:37 EST
Hi Everyone,

Have been interested in whatevery one gives their ferrets for treats.  So
far no one has mentioned the Cat Tartar Control Treat, by Nature's Recipe.
Its a Chicken Meat and Rice Treat.  All the Washington Tails here go
absolutely crazy over these, they would eat an entire package of them if I
would let them.  I get them from Petsmart in the cat area.  I think they
are one of the best treats I have seen on the market.  I have also used
their can rabbit (cat food) in the chicken gravy off and on.  Since I
would never kill a rabbit myself, this is the only way I can give them
rabbit off and on.  I also have put duck, turkey in their chicken gravy
mixture.  I have always fed a mixture ot Totally Ferret, 8 & 1 Ultimate,
Zupreem, Ferret Store Superior, Innova, Pinnacle, and sometimes Eukanuba
Kitten and once in a while I will buy a bag of the Nature's recipe and put
in the mixture.  I also give Nutrical, Laxatone when they get their ears
cleaned weekly and ferretone when they have their nails clipped.  Which is
again time to do tomorrow.  I can't believe how fast their nails grow.
Thanks goodness I have my husband that is willing to help clip nails as I
hold the ferret and give ferretone.  It take us about 2 hours to do
everyones nails.

This past week got the new Security Cubes from Mary and Eric, they really
did a good job on these my ferrets love them.  Looks like I will be
ordering more of them.  Fudge, my littlest sprite thinks she should have
the beautiful red cube to herself, she immediately chased everyone out of
it when I put it in their cage.  Of course it wasn't long before I found
Cinnamon Bear and Ashes back in it.

Thanks for the information about the Black Footed Ferret release, gosh
thats in the same general area from where I was born in Colorado.  My
mother lived in Massadona near Rangely for many years, best place to look
for dinosaur bones.  We have a huge knee cap that my sister found one year
when we were up in Massadona.  Sure hope they have lots of Prarie Dogs up
there for the Ferrets, I really don't ever remember seeing that many up
there.  They should have released them in Aurora Colorado, there was one
area there that had more Prarie Dogs than you can imagine.  LOL

Also thanks Danielle for the information about the Petshop show on Channel
6 tomorrow, I will sure be watching it.

Now for what the Washington Ferret Rescue and Shelter did today.  We took
over 25 ferrets that looked like they may be adrenal into Seattle so Dr.
Cathy Johnson-Delaney could do ultra sounds on them and take blood.  It
took all day, but she is such a good vet and did not even have to put any
ferret to sleep to draw blood.  It was very interesting finding these
adrenal tumors on the ultrasound.  We were very surprised that this one
sprite that had such a large vulva didn't seem to have a huge adrenal
tumor.  What was really surprising to me, that the ferrets that had lost
the most hair didn't always have huge adrenal tumors and some of the ones
that hadn't even lost a lot of fur had the largest tumors.  I had always
thought that onces a ferret looses its fur, if its not shedding that it
was always caused by a adrenal tumor, but I found out today that there
are may reason that ferrets loose their fur and Dr. Delaney said one of
the biggest causes of fur loss can be cause by heart problems.  It was
sure a busy day.  Now she is going to be putting some of them on Lupron
and others will have surgery.  She is doing a special study on adrenal
ferrets right now so we were lucky to have been asked to help her out.
Maybe someday we will know the true reason that so many ferrets get
adrenal tumors.

Well its time to put the rest of the ferrettails back in their cages and
get the cattails ready for bed also.  I have three cats that sleep with me
at night.  The ferrets have my attention in the day hours and the cats
have my attention the night hours.  I use to tell myself when I went to
heaven I wanted to spend it with the animals and guess what I didn't have
to wait to go to heaven to spend my life with the animals.

Charleen