From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 19:57:52 -0500
>From:    Hugo & Julie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New addition to the family !
>But each time our little friend picks up a magazine and starts doing his
>thing (like someone on that list (or in the faq) once put it), well
>actually it's when he's finished, he always has 5 or 6 grain of litter
>stuck to his anus.  I'm wondering if that's normal and if he'll start
>taking those off on his own 'cause I tell you he sure doesn't like me
>getting them off of there !!!  (I would'nt like it either...).
>Also his anus is red almost to the point that I thought he was bleeding.

Normally litter will not stick to the anus, but the way you talked about
his anus being very red, it makes me think it may be prolapsed.  Prolapses
are when the ferret is straining to deficate and the ferret strains so much
that the insides of the ferret are acutally pushed out.  Ferrets do not
have an anus that sticks out, so if his is, then it is prolapsed.  Litter
will often stick to the anus in a prolapse case.  Picking it off causes
much pain, but it must be done!  Do it gently & you may want to dampen the
area prior to picking the litter off.  Put some Preperation-H cream on it &
rub it in.  It may not feel real good at first, but it does wonders and
will usually help shrink the prolapse.  One real good reason young kits
prolapse is lack of fluids.  Seeing as your little boy is about 8 weeks, he
is probably not getting enough liquids.  My kits are still eating a mush at
this age along with nursing from mom and munching on some hard kibble from
mom's bowl (of course mom helps eat up the mush food, too!).  I suggest
taking his kibbled food and wetting it down so he can have the choice to
eat that and the hard kibble.  The mush foods will give him some extra
fluids.  You may want to add some Nutrical or ferretvite (maybe a 1/2 inch)
to the mush food for just a little extra umph!  and to encourage him to eat
it.  If the prolapse doesn't clear up after a week or gets worse, take him
to a ferret knowledgeable vet.  More about prolapsed rectums are found in
Pam's Ferret FAQ at http://www.ferretcentral.org or from this list server -
BIG what is that request again?  Send ferret FAQ? [SEND ANSWERS PACKAGE]

>Yet another question.  Diablo is quite vocal when he wants out of the cage
>or when he wants to be picked up (he loves to fall asleep in our arms) or
>when I have to do the unpleasant thing of cleaning his behind.  Is this
>normal ?

Kits often are vocal about wanting out.  Kits are not too used to being
alone and at 8 weeks, he will get lonely.  Just remember that you may teach
him that whining is the way to get out, so don't take him out everytime he
cries (very hard not to do!).  His crying from picking the litter off of
his anus is from pain, tho.

>From:    Elliott Shake <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccines? Soaked Food?
>I need to know exactly what type of vaccination is best for fuzzies.  I
>know that Fervac causes a reaction in some ferrets, so I'd kinda like to
>steer away from that one.  Is Galaxy-D OK?

Reactions are not restricted to one brand of vaccine.  Both Galaxy-D &
Fervac-D are fine.  Fervac-D is the ONLY vaccine approved by the USDA.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521