From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 08:32:05 -0500
>As for exercise, yes, exercise is far more important than diet in
>regulating obesity.  But there are two things at work here.  Fat is
>produced by diet, and muscle tone is produced by exercise.  For a ferret
>to be in shape, it needs proper amounts of both.  Few ferrets are actually
>obese; but most ferrets tend to have poor muscle tone (if you met one of
>mine, you would immediately see the difference).

I agree with the above but also think there are a few other factors to
consider on fat vs.  muscle tone.  Genetics, sex, and age at spay/neuter.
Not being a scientist in this field this is just my opinion but I would
think diet, exercise, genetics, sex and the age at spay neuter all combined
in each individual ferret will determine their fat to muscle ratio in
different ways.  I have a ferret farm sprite (early spay neuter) who is a
far better climber, very active, eats her TF well etc.  who is generally
sort of thin (not overly so) but has a tendency to carry fat in her abdomen
area.  My gib who was neutered later (5?  6?  months) who is constantly
begging for and getting into the equivalent of ferret junk food (only eats
anything good for him if he's starving) is also active but not a climber
etc.  but is a "hard body".  They are both free roam and free feed and get
treats at the same time (although Boris is far more likely to get into the
dog food, and scratches at my leg for treats constantly, sigh)

Just my thoughts
Mary, Boris, Giesela and Booker the dog