From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:26:44 -0700
Me and my big mouth mentioning that we had no reactions.  HAH!  But this is
a weird one.  If you have any personal experience or advice, please share.

Tuesday around 6pm, Sandy was the first of the group to get her shots.
Everything was fine.  She dozed in my arms on the way home and was playful
and chattery during playtime.

Wednesday morning she was awake early, as usual, begging for attention and
treats.  After work I let the gang out to play.  She seemed fine to me at
the time.  She sat by the plexiglass ferret gate and begged for attention.
I put them all to bed before Sean & I started a movie.

About halfway through the movie, I heard hacking from the cage area.  When
I got to them, I realized it was Sandy.  It looked like she was trying to
vomit but nothing was coming up.  I took her into the kitchen and put her
on the floor.  She ran around, checking out things, hacked a couple more
times, then seemed fine.

When I went to put her back in the cage, I noticed some white foamy fluid
on her hammock that she must have vomitted.  I gave her a clean hammock,
some FerretTone, and she went to bed.

This morning (Thursday) I went to check on her.  She was pretty limp,
laying flat-ferreted on the cage ramp.  When I picked her up, she started
hacking again.  She brought up some more foamy-looking stuff.  She wouldn't
eat any FerretTone or drink any water.  So off to the vet we went.

So the vet said she was definately dehydrated (her skin tented pretty bad
when he scruffed her).  She wouldn't open her mouth for him, but to me
her gums looked kind of greyish.  He gave her sub-q fluids and a shot of
Benadryl.  An x-ray showed nothing in her gut, and no food in her tummy,
but there was a pretty big gas bubble.  Her heart was normal.

The vet is stumped.  He said he's never seen a vaccine reaction present
quite in this fashion and so long after the shot (approx. 30 hours later).
He's treating it as a vaccine reaction, and if she doesn't improve by
tomorrow morning, I need to take her back in.  (I'm to give her 2 more
doses of Benadryl by mouth today.)

Does anyone have any clue as to what this might be?

I have her with me at work so I can monitor her all day.  I hope she'll be
OK.  She looks so doped up from the Benadryl, it's actually kind of funny.
Please keep her in your prayers.

=====
Aileen & the Herd minus one Herdling
Slinky, Kyle, Noel, Sandy, & Rootie the beagle
Missing Gizmo so much. We love you, baby.

Check out the Herd's website at:
 http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/7414/index.html