From:
CHERYL SUSANNE BLACK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 12:00:40 -0500
Did I have the worst weekend ever!!!
I went home to visit my parents on the weekend (and also because my car had
a leak in the gas line) and I brought the ferrets with me.  My brother is
getting married so I thought I'd go look for a present and leave the kids
in my parents care.  My parents love the kids to death so I had no problem
with leaving the ferrets in their care.  Riley, unfortunately can be a real
terror at times and he proved to be so that night.  My parents recieved a
call around 6pm from the neighbour asking if Cheryl and the ferrets were
home.  Mrs K said she was looking out her back deck window looking for the
cat when to her suprise she saw a ferret looking in instead.  So my mom
shot outside in her sock feet and luckily Riley came around the front of
the court and was under another neighbours car.  She called him and he came
sprinting over.  Poor little guy was really scared.  Even when I take him
for walks he's wants up every few minutes for a little comfort so imagine
how frightened he must of been.  Our house also backs on to a huge forest
but luckly everything ended up okay.

So I came home and Riley was back and everything was fine.  The kids and I
drove back to school that night.  When I got home I noticed Nikki acting
really strange.  She was chewing the air and lying on her side not moving.
So Right away I rushed her down to the emergeny vet clinic.  They took
xrays, etc.  Nikki had swallowed something to large to pass.  At that point
she was convulsing and I was in hysterics.  They did an emergency surgery on
her and took out a huge clump of plastic from her tiny intestine.  I was
allowed to bring her home this morning.  She is going to be okay but it will
take her a couple of mths to fully heal.

Thank god for the quick response on the vets part.  They saved my baby's
life and for that I am eternally grateful.

Needless to say the kids no longer have free room of my parents house which
we thought was ferret-proof but obviuosly isn't.  I'm just so glad Nikki
will see her first Christmas and again I want to thank the vets who saved
her life.

        Cheryl, Nikki & Riley