From:
"Susan D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:50:07 -0400
Have you ever had that one ferret that comes along and turns your ferret
world upside down?

I have 6 male ferrets, and they have their own room.  They're very playful
and gentle and never nip or bite.  They snuggle on occasion also.  Many
are very dainty eaters when it comes to ferret lax or anything out of a
tube; they give dainty little licks.  They play very well with each other
and snuggle in their hammocks.

Enter Bubba.

Bubba was surrendered because he nipped, which he does when playing.  I
ended up keeping him.  The first few weeks I had him, I kept him in a
separate cage before mixing him with the boys.  Every day, no matter how
well I anchored the litterbox, he found a way to empty it.  Food was for
playing, not eating.  Bubba in his cage was like a rock star in a hotel
room - litter everywhere (and yes, used!), food flying, water bowl tipped,
and the water bottle was always somehow knocked out of its holder.  Then
Bubba would take a breather, gently swaying in his hammock, letting out
the occasional yawn.  When I let him out to play, and to clean his trashed
cage, he was like a tornado.  Everything in his path was destroyed.  The
cats run as if I am letting loose the vacuum sweeper.

Bubba now lives with the other boys.  He plays much rougher than what
they're use to, but it's fun to watch them get all riled up.  He has
turned their room upside down, rearranging the order of food bowls and
toys.  Water bowls are constantly being filled.  He's constantly scraping
his nails against the divider in the doorway.  He is The Rock of the
ferret WWF.  He is 3.5 pounds of UN-descented muscle.  He puts Polar Bear
in headlocks on a regular basis, body slams Lucky, our latest addition,
and gives Thor a mighty chase through the upstairs rooms.  He hogs the
treats, and hangs on to the ferret lax tubes for dear life.  Not a dainty
licker, this one.  And food - I feel like I'm filling their food bowls
constantly.  I didn't realize adding one ferret would make such a
difference.  And he won't take the time to snuggle either; he's too busy
chasing and wrestling.

Bubba has been a wonderful addition and will keep the other guys, as well
as myself, feeling young for a long time.

Susan in KY

P.S.  Oh, and Bubba likes to climb into a hammock full of sleeping
ferrets.  He is not a good candidate for "top" ferret.