From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 14:16:57 -0700
Hi All,
I am VERY new to all of this and happy that I found the FML.  Approx 3 weeks
ago a little slinky wandered on to our front porch in CA.  Not knowing
anything about them at the time I was frightened, which I can't believe
myself now, however we caught her and put her in a cage.  I spent the next
day on the internet finding out everything I could about ferrets.  How
enlightening, that day I went to the store for food, hammock, etc.  and went
straight home to play and cuddle with her.  Since then "Mo" has become a
very loved member of the family.  We have 5 kids so she gets lots-o-love.

I was able to find the name of a vet in our area that will treat ferrets who
seems to be knowledgable considering she apparently holds regular "Ferrets
Anonymous" meetings at her office.  I have not yet taken Mo in for a
checkup, but intend to shortly.  I have a few basic questions which I will
list and would also like any comments from you all about what I need to ask
the vet, have her checked for etc.  on our first visit.

1. How do you tell how old a ferret is?
2. If Mo makes little dry coughing sounds once in a while, should I worry
   about furballs?  Am I suppose to give her furball stuff regularly?
3. Are there regular "at-home" health check ups I should be doing?

Overall Mo seems happy, healthy and playful and she eats her food (totally
ferret) well.  I've read so many health related postings in the last few
days since I joined that I don't want to inadvertantly overlook something
that's important.  Thanks for listening to my rambling.  Any tips,
especially from CA.  ferret "parents" would be greatly appreciated.  I'm so
Pro Ferret now, obsessed with learning as much as possible and talking about
it non-stop, my husband thinks I had someone PLANT Mo on our porch!  Not
true!  But she is a such a bright spot in my life that I might consider a
"planting" for number two!  :)

Bye for now.
[SB]