From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:39:32 -0400
EG: Do you mean Eosinophyllic (sp?) Gastroenteritis (again sp?)?  If so,
that is separate.
-----

>I know ferrets aren't the same as humans...but..I was wondering if there
>are any antioxidants marketed for ferrets.  Cancer is cancer and free
>radicals occur in all animals...so maybe there's something like our
>Vitamin E that ferrets can have that might give them a better chance.

This is actually part of why darkness to allow the body to produce more
of its own melatonin, turmeric as a possible additive with risks also
discussed as is only logical, and some other things have been under
discussion.

*****Actually, there are HUNDREDS of forms of "cancer"*****, and what
hurts one can actually nourish another, or protect it in some way.  For
instance, high levels of Vitamin C are bad if radiation is used for some
breast cancers because those malignancies actually are shielded as a
result.

In addition, what is good at one stage of life or one stage of illness
is bad in another.  Two examples: betacarotine might be useful to take
before some types of lung maligancies start but if they have begun then
it helps them grow faster.  Ditto soy for certain hormonal tumors; there
seeems to be a protective effect if they are at higher levels in the diet
early in life but later on introducing high levels can backfire.  This is
a newly emerging field of inquiry and it turns out to be anything BUT
simple or straight forward.  There are a number of very fascinating and
convoluted results being reported in journals.

BTW, oils are good sources of E.

I recommend looking in the FML archives under "Golden Oldie" to read
veterinary pathologist, Bruce Williams' write up on what is and what
is not "cancer".  There is a huge amount of confusion out there in
this regard.
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
-----

One thing that amazes me in discussions of foods is the omission that
recent evidence indicates that one of the things which can cause toxins
and carcinogenic substances to form is the temperature of cooking.  The
risks of charred meats have long been known, but this year it has been
docuemtned in several studies that starches cooked at high temperatures
(chips, fries, some breads, donuts, some breakfast cereals, etc.  --
which makes me wonder about some kibbles and their cooking temps) form a
compound which is not found in such starches beforehand and not found if
they are cooked at low temperatures.  Acrylamide is better known as a
carcinogenic and neurotoxic compound used in making plastics, and when
it was first found in such studies it was thought to be a contaminant,
but it wasn't.  Starches form it when all by themselves if the cooking
temperature is high enough.  There are now multiple studies confirming
this.  I know that when folks worry about foods they worry about other
aspects, but for anyone's food: our's or ferrets the temperature of the
cooking may matter more than some other oft-discussed aspects.