Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 03:22:51 -0600
I received e-mail asking if the anatomy of ferrets (or other animals)
allowed the use of the heimlich, where the sudden compression of air from
the lungs forces particles out of the pharnyx, larnyx, or trachea during
choking spasms.

Having taught comparative and human anatomy labs, I can say that it might
work if the particle is small enough to lodge in the larnyx or trachea or
large enough to lodge in the pharynx ABOVE the trachea.  While the anatomy
of animals is different from that of adult humans, it is very similar to
that of infant humans, and there are recorded instances where the heimlich
has been used successfully on babies.  Both cats and ferrets are routinely
used to instruct doctors, nurses, and paramedics how to intubate infants, so
the structures must be very similar, and having seen them firsthand, I can
attest that they are.

In all animals (including humans) the pharynx, that place at the back of
your mouth behind where you see that hangey thing, is where the air and food
paths cross.  In humans it is very large, because the bone that supports the
tongue, the hyoid, is only minimally connected to the skull, allowing the
tongue movement latitude for speech.  In virtually all other animals, the
hyoid is directly attached to the skull with very powerful ligaments,
holding the base of the tongue higher in the pharynx, and reducing the size
of the opening.  Normally in animals, if the object can pass the pharnyx, it
can go down the esophagus, but in adult humans, our pharnyx is so large that
particles can get trapped in the area above the junction where the larnyx
and esophagus begin--choking the person.

With ferrets, if the object is inhaled, it had to be small enough to pass
the larnyx (voice box), which means it probably is stuck in a bronchial
tube.  You need a vet immediately!  The heimlich is of little use and can
cause more harm than good.  If the object is stuck in the esophagus, and the
beastie can't clear it by itself, you need a vet immediately!  The heimlich
is of NO use.  If the object is stuck in the back of the throat, and you
can't pull it out with your fingers or a hemostat, the heimlich might work,
but it is very dangerous, but so is certain death I suppose.

With human babies, the heimlich is performed NOT by pushing upwards at the
spot just under the sternum, but by gentle chest compression.  Remember the
heimlich uses compressed air to do the work, and when done from behind in
humans, not only is the diaphragm being compressed upwards, but the lower
parts of the ribcage are being compressed inwards.  I would recommend
compressing the ribcage rather than the abdomial area.  The fuzzie can live
longer with broken ribs than a ruptured spleen or liver.

Also, the ribs of ferrets are roughly 1/8 inch wide by 1/16 thick, and are
attached to the spine with ligaments and to the sternum with cartilage.  You
can easily snap them in two, or break them away from the sternum with your
fingers.  Push too hard and you will break them all in a line from the
armpit to the stomach, or crack them off the sternum, making it almost
impossible for the ferret to breathe.  As an experiment, lay your ferret on
its back, and place your palms on each side of the rib cage.  Your thumbs
should be resting on a ridge--that is the sternum.  A sharp knobby point
will be directly above the abdomen.  If you HAVE to do the heimlich, press
the ribs, using the base of your palms, towards the sternum, low on the
ribcage.  This more like the ribs natural compression, and they are stronger
pushed this way than when being compressed from the sternum towards the
spine (a sure way to break them!)

I used ice cream sticks to open the jaws, and rubber corks cut to size to
block open the mouths of mink in the field.  I have a 6-inch hemostat with a
penlight taped to the handle for removing obstructions from the mouths of
little beasties (My cat still has this annoying habit of choking on pieces
of "yard-flotsam"--her favorite being twigs).  I wrapped the beast in a
towel, pinning the legs tightly, used the stick to open the jaws, and when
they started the chewing movements, pushed in the rubber cork to block the
jaw open.  I turned on the light, and removed the obstruction with the
hemostats.  Be calm, even if the airway is completely blocked, you have four
or five minutes, and longer if it is not.  WARNING WILL ROBINSON!  It is
VERY easy to get bit!  I once helped the World's Dumbest Dog (He was my dog,
and that was his name, and believe me, it fit!) dislodge a superball (Don't
ask me where he found it--I still don't know!) in this manner, and he bit
through the pad of my thumb to the bone.  To make matters worse, he bit
through the thumbnail to the bone on the opposite side.  In any case, I
think I would try this method before I tried the heimlich on a tiny beastie
like the ferret.

Please, I am not a vet, and am not an authority in such matters.  I am well
versed in comparative anatomy, and have used the described methods in the
field and my own pets, but do not know how a vet would react to what I have
posted.  I recommend that you discuss emergency procedures with your vet
BEFORE any problems occur.  Dr.  WIlliams?

One final note.  I want to say that we are EXTREMELY lucky to have such a
fine forum for discussing ferret issues, and I for one, eagerly look forward
to reading each issue.  I will wait up to read it before I go to bed each
evening (I usually get it about 1-1:30 am).  It takes awhile to read, but I
don't care--I read every entry for whatever tidbit I can glean out of it.

I can do this because of the efforts of BIG.  I can't thank him enough for
the dedication and work he puts in on the FML, and dread the thought of ever
losing him.  As a joker, I love his cracks, and as a leader-of-men I
appreciate his subtle moderation (I'm not really a leader of men; I can't
even get my beasties to follow me....but it sounded good, didn't it?).
Thank you Bill for your work and selfless attitudes towards my furry
friends.  You have earned a SPECIAL CERTIFICATE from my fuzzies, if for
nothing more than putting up with my long posts!

Bob (one 'o' removed)
Moose, Stella, Daye, Tori, Bear, Apollo, Foster, Buddy, and Razz.
Tori says, "This kiss is for you!"