From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:46:03 -0400
I would like to copy excerpts from 2 of yesterday's posts, and then add my
own thoughts...

>A Shelter's Prayer from anonymous:
>Please help me.  I fear that I am failing the little angels you have sent
>to me to care for.  They keep coming in , and no one seems to care enough
>to take one home to love for their little lifetime.

>There are too many that have been abused, unloved and neglected.  Too many
>that have come in sick and needing medical attention.  The bills are
>behind, and I don't know what to do.  I have to pay the vet, the ferrets
>come first.

>from Sandi:
>Petco used to sell dogs and cats.  Animal shelters came down hard on them
>and Petco stopped.  ... *now* the shelters take their cats and dogs to
>Petco for "Petco adoption days" and allow Petco to promote themselves as
>associates of local shelters.
>Petco started selling rabbits just before x-mas in December of 1993 and by
>May 31 of 1994 they stopped selling rabbits because of the feedback of the
>House Rabbit Society (HRS) and other rabbit organizations.  Petco invited
>the HRS to bring our foster rabbits to the store...

My thoughts:
I would love to see ferret people actively work with pet stores to have
shelter adoption days INSTEAD of stores selling baby ferrets.  All the
ferret shelters in this area are FULL; there are many wonderful ferrets
waiting for homes.  Pet stores can still make money selling supplies; they
don't need to flood the market with baby ferrets to turn a profit.  Why wait
till we have an uncontrollable excess of unwanted ferrets like we have with
dogs and cats?  Let's actively help ferrets while the situation is still
manageable.

Ronnie in Mass.