From:
Patricia Hebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:28:33 -0800
Hi there,
I have been lurking around this list for about a year but this is my first
post.  We got two lovely babies from Petco in Montana.  They will be two in
March.  Clyde our little boy is a black sable with white feet.  Bonnie our
little girl is a cinnamon sable.  Yes they are Marshall Ferrets but I love
them anyway.  Both are very healthy.

I wanted to tell my experience with Mid-West cages, I have read several
posts about different types of problems with them.  Well we had problems
also but have solved them all.

First you have to put carpet down on the base of the cage, no ferret can
live on the plastic.  We first used outdoor carpet cut to fit.  Well you
guessed it my fuzzbutts tore that up in no time.  But we noticed that they
only dug at it from the sides.  So, my brilliant husband found carpet that
has rubber around the edge (and the bottom).  He found some that fit the
base so the rubber comes up the sides.  No I know my fuzzies are smart but
they have not figured this one out for a yet.  We have two pieces so when
we clean one we put the other in.

We also had a major problem with litter box training in the cage.  We tried
two corner boxes, a cat litter box and nothing would work.  Well dear old
hubby thought of it again.  We bought a rubber maid box they type used for
sweater storage that fit the WHOLE side of the cage.  He took out his saw
and cut a ferret door in the front and those little buggers have not had an
accident since.  They even go back in the cage when they are out for play
time to use the litter box.  I'm so proud of them.

Being new ferret owners we did not now you should put the water and the
food on the bottom of the cage.  So being motorhomers too, out came the
Velcro.  We learned all about ferts diggin in there their dish and flinging
food all over.  Well as much as ferret food costs and the fact we have it
shipped in because these Marshall Ferrets will eat nothing but you guessed
it, Marshall Ferret Food.  We decided they would not throw their food all
over the cage.  We got a the large ferret dish from PETCO (with ferrets on
the side) and Velco'ed the bottom to the top bench (corner) and one side,
then we Velco'ed the side of another dish (ferrets from hell) which is
smaller.  They still throw their food but it gets caught in the outside
dish and can be recycled.  Any body want ferret feeders that they are not
suppose to get in to, I have two.

Haven't solved the leaky water bottle problem yet, but the ferrets have
they lick the water from the bench when it leaks.  I think they are lazy.
By the way the water bottle is up on the top bench (corner) with the food.

Now we have lot of room for hammocks, pouches and toys on the floor to play
with.  They REALLY love old pants.  The only thing they do with the bouncy
swing is use it for a hidey-hole for other toys.

We have been able to ferret prove the house, but let me tell you it can not
be done to a motorhome.  So while traveling it is harnesses and leashes for
my guys even in the motorhome.  We learned our lesson the hard way.  We
thought we covered every hole in the motorhome.  Well we were in for a
surprise.  The first thing Bonnie did was climb into the dash, while we
were trying to get her out (she came out on her own), dear old Clyde found
a hole somewhere under a cabinet.  We looked for him for hours and no
Clyde.  I knew he had to be dead he would not even come to the bell for
ferrivite.  But good old hubby said let me look underneath.  Well it is a
basement model and when he opened up one the compartments Clyde almost tore
his shirt off he was so glad he was rescued.

Another tip from a dog person me, we use a 10 - 20 LB retractable leash for
the ferrets.  They love it and it does not slow them down at all.  All we
have to do is solve the harness problem and MAYbe my guys can go into the
holes they love when we are out.  We have both the H harness and the 8
leash nothing seems to work if they really want to get out of them.  Anyone
work.

Sorry this is so long, my prayers are with all the little sick ones and
their owners.  Ferrets are to love and cherish as long as we are lucky to
have them.

Patricia Hebert