From:
Jaime Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:10:55 -0700
Hi Sherry and others who replied.  It's "J" (Jaime)- thanks so much for
your responses.  I'm only getting your responses today (Tuesday), but
thankfully, by yesterday, Scooter was almost all the way back to his
regular self.  At the advice of my local shelter operator and others,
we discontinued all but the antibiotics and he seems to be doing really
well.  I'm so happy, it really scared me to death.  For Pete's sake,
they're not even my ferrets, they're my boyfriends, but you'd think they
were my children I'm so attached to them :).

I have some questions as a follow-up if Sherry or anyone else can explain.
Sherry wrote:
>I would never give vaccine without having benadryl, epinephrine, lactated
>ringers, and an emergency vet number on hand.  Epinephrine is the one
>medication I didn't see mentioned.

I've never heard of lactated ringers- can you please explain?  No, she
didn't give him epinephrine, though I've heard of it for severe allergic
reactions in humans... She gave him prednisone, which I have no idea
whether it's as effective or if it's even similar.

>As far as vaccinating for distemper in the future.  I have read enough
>to believe that the possibility of catching and dying from distemper is
>too serious a threat to outweigh a reaction.  You can walk through a
>puddle and pick this up on your shoes or clothes, and bring it into
>your home.

Really?  It can live in puddles?  I was under the impression it passed
from animal to animal, so I thought our little guys weren't too at risk,
since they don't come in contact with any other animals...

>Instead of using Fervac-D, try Galaxy-D, an alternative vaccine.  Although
>it's not been approved by the USDA, alot of people feel it's just as
>effective, and have had fewer reactions with it.

If it's not USDA-approved, how would the vet get it?  I'm wondering if a
vet would be willing to administer a non-approved vaccine... Does yours,
or do you do it yourself?

thanks much!

Jaime