From:
Sherry Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:13:24 -0400
Hello, fellow fuzzy lovers!  It's been awhile since I've been able to read
or post to the list, but with the wedding, honeymoon and ferret show that
all happened in two weeks in August, I'm finally catching up with life.

I wanted to reply to the anonymous poster (J.) about the distemper reaction
questions.  Yes, it's quite possible for the reactions to be fatal.  And
all of the symptoms, including bloody diarrhea are consistent with a severe
reaction.  Personally, I've never heard of treating afterwards with
antibiotics, but theoretically, the ferret could be more susceptible to
opportunist infections, I guess.  As a breeder who gives my own distemper
vaccinations, I've been very lucky, with only one severe reaction.  But,
I would never give vaccine without having benadryl, epinephrine, lactated
ringers, and an emergency vet number on hand.  Epinephrine is the one
medication I didn't see mentioned.  I believe most vets administer it to
a dog or cat that has a reaction, as well.  When my Gus reacted in July,
I hit him with it all, about 2 cc of epinephrine sub-q, 2 cc of benadryl
orally and about 20 cc of lactated ringers given over 20 minutes in 3 cc
doses sub-q.  He seemed to come out of the reaction in about 30 minutes,
although he was one tired pup for the next 6 hours (both benadryl and
epinephrine cause that).  We monitered him for carefully for the next day,
but he seemed to have no lasting effects.  It was a very scary time,
though.

As far as vaccinating for distemper in the future.  I have read enough to
believe that the possibility of catching and dying from distemper is too
serious a threat to outweigh a reaction.  You can walk through a puddle
and pick this up on your shoes or clothes, and bring it into your home.
Ferrets are very susceptible to it, and as you've read, it is very fatal.
To minimize reaction there are several things you can do.  Pretreating with
benadryl orally is a good idea.  Staying at the vets office for at least an
hour with a previous reaction.  Instead of using Fervac-D, try Galaxy-D, an
alternative vaccine.  Although it's not been approved by the USDA, alot of
people feel it's just as effective, and have had fewer reactions with it.
I've also read that injecting the vaccine into the hind-quarters elicits
fewer reactions than shoulder injections.  But, next year, Gus will be
getting his distemper vaccine.  It will be in the vets office, next time,
but it will happen.

Well, I hope everyone, human and furry alike are doing well.
Sherry and her Merry Mob