From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 20:36:01 -0700
My understanding is that America West is the only airline (as of March
1994) who allows ferrets in the cabin (but 1 or 2 kennel/flight max).
I was told by them the key word for them is "domestic", and they
apparently accept the domesticity of ferrets.  I did a grep -i for
'air.*line' on the first 700 FML issues (that grep command isn't
foolproof over line splits), and turned up the following issues.  I
know that there was an issue where someone described their (fairly
recent) experiences (successful) taking them in the cabin with America
West, but that must be issue 700+.  Re agreement in writing - I got
America West to print out the excerpt from their on-line system that
says domestic, but I don't know that'd be enough if they wanted to
give you trouble despite the fact that every employee there I've
talked to says ferrets in the cabin ok (and we have at least one
FML'er who did America West).  Re cargo, I'd be worried about temp and
oxygen, of course.  I've never taken the fuzzies on a plane, but I
might want to.

450 - don't try to sneak, try not mentioning ferrets, most lines don't allow
472 - united mixup yes/no, eventually says no to cabin
595 - success in 1988 flying memphis - seattle and back, what papers, etc
597 - continental says no & misled re rodents
654 - northwest says perhaps, continental, conflicting
657 - questions re cabin pressure
658 - tips for getting aboard, boyfriend comes through, nice story
661 - coat trick, hysteria over ferrets
669 - don't put in cargo, no pets SW airlines, coat trick,
        continental ok (at least at one point in time)
676 - wants to know how (airlines might) ship ferrets to people
689 - regrettable change in wording of allowable pets
690 - got them aboard in coat but wouldn't do again

Todd Cromwell
(Dors and Seldon)