Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:41:34 EST
Zen sez:
>LIFE judges do not judge color specialties that way though.  They treat
>them the same as championship rings.  I prefer keeping specialites as
>specialties as it gives other ferrets a chance.  A chubby ferret that
>would do badly in championship could still prove hsi or her worth by
>being just an oh so beautiful chocolate.  Or a overly long ferret could
>have a remarkable set of mitts.

Let me start with the disclaimers - I am not speaking for LIFE - these are
my own opinions.

I am a championship LIFE judge - and I can tell you that this statement is
not correct.  I judge both specialties and Championship, and specialties
are judged more for how they meet the pattern or color than for
conformation.

In specialty rings, of a possible and perfect score of 100, 50 points comes
from color/pattern; 20 from conformation; 20 from temperament and 10 from
maintenance.  In Championship, of a possible and perfect score of 100, 55
points come from conformation; 20 from temperament; 10 from maintenance and
15 from color/pattern.

So while there are still points awarded for how well the ferret is put
together, in the case of a tie, the ferret scoring higher in the
color/pattern will place higher.  I have seen some absolutely gorgeous
ferrets with kinked tails, crooked noses, huge ears - do extremely well in
Specialty rings - because they better meet the accepted pattern or color.
The only true difference that I can see, from stewarding at AFA shows - is
that there is nothing on the specialties for conformation.  I have seen
some big differences in color - black sable is a biggie - between AFA and
LIFE.  Doesn't the AFA scoring system have something called "judges
opinion" which scores 20 or 30 points?

As far as being as simple as stewarding three rings and you can begin
judging - well, thats oversimplification at best.  In my own case, I
stewarded at 4 shows, I think 2 rings at each show, always with an
experienced LIFE judge.  It was explained to me what the scores meant, and
how to score a ferret.  What to look for, conformation - shape of the head,
chest and ribcage;the "whole package" of the ferret.  Then I began judging
specialties - BUT, and its a big one: my steward was the experienced judges
that trained me.  I had to justify each score - and why I felt that ferret
deserved this score over this one, etc.  Once I had judged a number of
Specialty rings, at least 2 per show, I began to do Championship.  While I
was a specialty judge, I also had to steward at Championship rings.  So,
its not as simple as just doing three and you are a judge.  At any stage -
if the judges training me had found fault, or a complaint lodged against
me - I would have started from scratch.

zen also sez:
>I was strongly discouraged from participating in a LIFE show as a
>volunteer steward due to the 'influence I might have' on one of their
>specialty judges so my information is very sketchy.

Bill, I was at that show - and in my opinion from where I was sitting - Ann
is an apprentice judge with AFA as well as a new specialty judge with LIFE
and it certainly appeared that she was being influenced by you - you were
speaking, pointing to the ferret and she was nodding her head - I don't
remember anyone saying that you couldn't steward - only that they preferred
you steward with an experienced LIFE judge.  You are a senior AFA judge and
your opinion to a novice judge (especially one you might be training with
AFA) carries a lot of weight.  You know as well as I do that appearance is
everything -- controversies have been started over less.  It wouldn't have
been fair to the exhibitors at a LIFE show for their ferrets to be judged
as if they were at an AFA show, or have that appearance.  I didn't see any
problem with the request from LIFE - I would expect the same if the
positions were reversed - that I was the AFA steward, and thought to be
coaching a novice judge.

LIFE publishes a guide to LIFE shows and judging - and is available from
LIFE - email either Rose Smith at [log in to unmask] or Anne Ryan at
[log in to unmask] for more information.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854