Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 22:20:27 -0800
Well, now that the Holidays are over & I have finally gotten caught up on
reading my mail, I'll tell you about my "Hectic Holiday".

On Dec. 14th I (and Katie too of course) traveled 3.5 hours to Portland
Oregon to spend the weekend with Sandy Streit, and attend the OFA Christmas
party.  After getting settled in at Sandy's, and letting the kids get
acquainted, Sandy offered to help me look for a new baby.  We visited one
pet store which had two lovely little girls, but my heart was set on a boy.
The clerk said that their other store had two boys, so off across town we
headed.  First we stopped at the ferret shelter run by Chris Mathis, there
were lots of cute fuzzies there, but my stubborn streak demanded I keep
looking for a "baby".  I really admire Chris' ability to care so well for so
many ferrets.  So, Sandy and I left Chris' and headed to the pet store.
There I found they had two cute little boys, and it was kind of a hard
choice, but I finally decided on the smaller of the two, and so "Worf"
joined the family!!

We went back to Sandy's and relaxed a while, watching 5 ferrets zooming
around the house having a great time.  (Sandy has 4 kids, but little Amber
was feeling a bit antisocial that night) Then we all (two women & 6 fuzz
kids) packed up and went to the party.  Everyone had a great time at the
party.  There was lots of good food and a gift exchange for the ferrets.
The next morning Sandy, her SO Gil, and I met with Georgia and Percy Wood at
their house boat and all went to breakfast.  Then I had to head back across
the Mountains to home.

Then the trouble started.  I was awakened at 1:30 AM Mon. 12/16 to the sound
of Katie vomiting.  I gave her some Petromalt and went back to sleep, but
was woke up several more times in the night as Katie was sick again.  By
morning She had a bit of a fever, had stopped vomiting but started having
green slime poops, and just looked generally terrible.  So I mixed up some
TF & Sustical mush, and fed her that, some Pepto, and Pedialyte from a
syringe.  This became the routine four times a day for the next several
days.  Worf was fine, and I Emailed Sandy and found that all her kids were
fine, so I didn't worry about ECE.  But I DID worry.

Then on Thurs. 12/19 my Dad had a heart attack and went in the hospital.  He
got out on Christmas eve and is OK, but Katie was still sick, and I hadn't
had much sleep in days.  So, the day after Christmas we went to see Dr.
Jane, Worf needed his distemper shot anyway, so we killed two birds with one
stone.  Jane said Katie was well hydrated, hadn't lost any weight, and her
stool showed no problems, so it was probably stress.  She told me to try
switching from Pepto to Kaopectate because Pepto has both aspirin and dyes
that might further upset an irritated stomach, and gave me some A/D to feed
her.  Only two days on the Kao, and Katie was back to near normal.  Now, all
her energy is back, and her poop is only slightly seedy.  I'm so relieved.

This is getting way too long now, so I'll tell you all about Worf later.  I
need to figure out what color he is.

Later!!

Amy, Katie and Worf
"Here's Dookin' at you Kit!"