From:
mireille chiasson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 21:08:49 +0000
Hello,

We have a new baby and we still cannot put her with the two older ones.  The
two older ferrets and the new baby have been in the same cage but different
levels since we got the young one.  One of the two older ferrets does not
seem to like that very much, she scratches at the baby's level alot and when
she see's her she completely looses it.  She attacks the other older ferret
like I've never seen before (very aggressive!!) and they are usually the
very best of buddies.

We had tried a couple of times before to put them together but they just
massacre the baby (We see the marks on her neck which develop into crust's).
Tonight we tried the bath (strong smelling shampoo, vanilla extract on the
nose, and bitter apple on the neck.  The first sniff turn the older ones off
but they soon forgot about it and dove in ..  the baby was terrafied as
always and was getting hurt (her neck was full of broken skin bite marks).
When we tried to pull them apart the older ones bit us and them turn
frantically on each other being jus plain crazy.  We had to seperate the
older ones next cause they were hurting each other now.  The baby now
shaking, this attempt was over.... I am very sad cause i really want them to
get along.  It has now been a month an a half and when i see the older ones
playing together, i wish the baby could have that much fun.  I just don't
want to have to keep them like this forever we never had this trouble
adapting our second ferret to the first.  If there is anything else we can
try please write us... we are desperate.  I have also written to Pam Grant
who had this great first suggestion which unfortunetly did not work and i am
waiting for some more information from her.

Thank you,
Mireille