From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 10:51:19 -0500
Katy and Chloe,
I don't know what anyone can say to ease Meg's feeling of guilt, except
that it is a natural part of grieving.  We all feel guilty when a pet dies.
We should have been more careful, ferret-proofed better, taken him/her to
the vet sooner, watched more carefully, noticed sooner, known better, etc.

A week after my cat Pepper died, my daughter came into our room crying late
at night.  She thought it was HER fault Pepper died, she didn't think he
was enough company when he slept in her room at night.  I told her I felt
it was my fault, I should have noticed sooner that he didn't feel well and
taken him to the vet sooner.  Richard said he thought he should have stayed
up all night with him that last night, he could have pulled him through.
In truth, it was just his time, he was almost 18 years old.  But we still
all felt the guilt.

Xoie was obviously very well loved and cared for during her all too short
time with Meg.  That is the best we can do.

Linda, Richard, Joy, Belle and Caruso