From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 1995 09:42:04 -0500
We too have a ferret that miraculouly escaped certain injury. Belle went out
the sunroof of a car traveling 35-40 mph. My husband Richard thought she just
jumped from his shoulder to the back seat, and didn't realize she was missing
til he got home. We went back up the road about a mile to where he thought she
jumped, and spent an hour til dark, searching up and down the road, calling
her name and listening for her bell. I was terrifed we would find a broken
body at the side of the road.

When it got dark, we went home and called the local animal shelter, the vet
around the corner and the college campus security. Fifteen minutes later, we
got a call from a student, who had called security just minutes after we did.
He found her running across the street on his way to the dining hall, put her
in his room, went to dinner, and called security when he got back.

We raced joyfully to the dorm, expecting to find a bruised and frightened
ferret. Instead, she was in the lounge, entertaining about half a dozen
students with her ferrety antics, climbing over them and the furniture,
exploring every corner, etc. After offering our sincere gratitude, and taking
for a while about ferrets and their care, we took her home.

The next day I watched carefully for signs of stiffness or other affects from
her adventure, but there were none. She had not a mark on her.

Needless to say, if the sunroof is open now, Belle has her leash on and
someone firmly holding her!

Linda, Richard, Joy, and Belle (The fearless flying ferret)