From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:05:24 EDT
Go ahead, you can breath.  Rocky is still with us happy by Sean's side.
I don't know how Rocky is still here, but ... well, there you have it.
It has been a while since I gave an update on how they both were doing,
so I thought I should do so.

Sean has been watching all the summer blockbuster releases with Rocky,
doing daily chores together such as folding laundry, and traipsing all
over the house.  Other than the typical things that little boys do during
the summer such as chasing bugs, swimming at the local water hole, or
playing wiffle ball in the street, Sean is learning to play the coronet
and is enjoying his first real job.  He is a sort of assistant for an
elderly lady down the street.  "I'm very useful that way!" he says in
his typical stiff voice.  Lol.  But he's not so stiff when Rocky is near.
It's the only time that I get to see this little boy act absolutely
normal.  I wish that I could explain what it means to a mother of an
autistic when she is able to actually see joy expressed by her child.
These kids feel emotion.  A great deal of emotion.  They just don't
have much ability to express it and to express it in typical ways.  But
through Rocky, I get to see a little boy actually gleam.  Otherwise to
see such expression is rare.  And this summer, has been full of joy.

Rocky has taken a liking to sleeping, understandably.  He does nothing
but sleep.  And eat.  And poop.  A lot of pooping.  Lol.  But when Sean's
around, he seems to always be awake.  Gone are the days of playing.  But
he still loves to hop and toddle behind Sean when Sean is around.  I
suppose it's a blessing for Rocky that he has his own bedroom that is
quiet and peaceful.  That way he doesn't have to worry about keeping up
with a 13 year old boy so much.

You might be wondering about Rocky's health.  He's very slowly and
quietly slipping away day to day.  He seems very content and without
pain.  Why is he still here?  I don't understand.  Everything seems to
be "in order".  You know, the ultimate joke of cancer is that they leave
you twice.  Once upon diagnosis and again when they die.  Although so
much extra time with Rocky is really a gift, in some ways the wait is
excruciating.  During the last vet appointment, we learned that Rocky
has developed cardiomyopathy.  How utterly ironic that this animal might
ultimately die from having a heart that is too big for his tiny little
body.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com