From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:10:03 -0500
Delta's website (http://www.delta-air.com/baggage/pets/index.html) says
this, as apparently their computers do now as well, because the ticketing
agent read it to me when I called and asked.

"So you and your pet just don't want to be apart during your flight.  As a
Delta customer, you can bring along a dog, cat, rabbit or bird in the
passenger cabin as carry-on luggage.  The animal must be at least 8 weeks
old.  Please note that reptiles, ferrets, monkeys, and pot-bellied pigs are
not allowed in the cabin.  One pet per passenger is permitted.  "
apparently Delta has changed their mind about ferrets...just in time for
the holidays.

TWA says this on their website:
http://www.twa.com/passenger_services/ps_special_service.html#pets
A dog, cat or household bird (canary, parakeet, parrot) may travel in the
aircraft cabin provided they can fit comfortably in a cabin kennel which
does not cause distress to the animal.  The pet must be 8 weeks old and
weaned.  The cost for domestic travel is $50 and the passenger must travel
with the pet.  TWA will not accept non-domesticated animals such as:
ferrets, hampsters, ravens, rabbits and reptiles." Ravens?..jeez.  Did I
mention that I own a hampster that I captured in the wild, known to take
down bears for survival?  ( I don't really have a hampster but we were
thinking this weekend we'd go hunting for one in the woods somewhere.)

I guess it's time to start writing letters, but I doubt anything will be
resolved in time for the holidays.  I kind of waited a bit to look into
airfaires because I was so sure Delta was ok, and Christmas is coming and I
have to book early to get a decent faire.

I'm really getting to hate the holidays.  My family insists that I come
home to Seattle (from NC) for Christmas, my sister tells me my mom would
be devestated if I didn't go.  My SO can't take enough time off of work to
justify the five hundred dollar plane ticket, so I have to be seperated
from him, like every year since we've been together so far.  He also tends
to be at work a million hours a day especially when I'm not there to come
home to, and when home too tired to really keep a good eye on the fuzzits.
Last time I left him with them, for my grandmother's emergency surgery, I
came home and we had a blockage scare and a month of mystery sickness and
hand feedings, I would be so paranoid if I left them, that I wouldn't be
able to stand it, not to mention they wouldn't get the playtime they are
used to.  He is really great with them, and loves them as much as I do, but
his schedule is very hectic and I can't blame him if he forgets sometimes,
but that's what I'm there for, to make sure that nothing gets missed so
that the four leggers in our house stay safe.

I thought I'd be able to take them, was about to order a cage to be sent to
my mom's so they would have a place all ready when we got there, but I
can't seem to find an airline that will allow them, and I'm not going to
put them in cargo.  I've been sent a few email horror stories about delayed
planes and stranded ferrets.  I just wish there was a way to make everyone
happy, including myself.

Thanks for letting me vent and bah humbug!
Robynn