From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:47:06 -0400
I've always been anti fur..I've never really done anything about it though,
until today.  I'm a frequenter of a certain popular online auction website,
and I've gotten lots of neat stuff there.  I'm not really mad at the
auction site, people have a right to sell what they want..  but..I saw an
item up for auction that enranged me and turned my stomach at the same time
and I sent email to the seller.

Up for auction..a teddy bear made from ferret hide.  The discription was as
follows: "This is the first time we have any ferret hide and we are very
limited on it.  This little guy is absolutely adorable and stands 6" tall
and very soft.  He is fully Jointed and has plastic eyes and nose with
safety backs.  He is an original by Jane Benefield.  We also make bears
from your furs email us for more details and other real fur bears we have."

A TEDDY BEAR MADE OUT OF A FERRET SKIN...I just..can't believe it.  If
you're interested in expressing your disgust feel free to email me and I'll
let you know where the item is being auctioned and you can get the seller's
addres on your own, so I can't be accused of giving out this person's email
address.  What's next..send in your dead pets, and we'll make toys out of
them..I'm still shaking.  It of course didn't say that it was a domestic
ferret skin, but if it's a BF ferret skin (pretty much impossible) that
would be illegal wouldn't it?  Ferrets aren't actually raised for their
pelts are they?

still disgusted,
Robynn

[P.S.]
As an addendum to the note I sent in earlier... the person auctioning the
teddy bear made from ferret fur replied to the email I sent him, his reply
was as follows:

you might think before you speak.  The bears are made from old fur coats
and stooles (this is verbatum from his message, I believe he means 'stole')
the ferret hide is from a very old stoole.

Only somebody with a sick mind would think to say such a thing about
sending your dead animal to have a bear made."

(note that the ad said "We also make bears from your furs email us for more
details and other real fur bears we have".  I asked him in my letter if his
next sales slogan would be "Send us your dead pet and we'll make a teddy
bear out of it?") Apparently I offended him.  Which actually makes me feel
a lot better.

Robynn