From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 02:54:05 -0700
I was reading the fml the last couple of days and noticed a few questions
about adrenal surgery.  Last year (1999) we had our vets that we use do
200+ adrenal procedures.  That included mostly the invasive surgical
procedure where the adrenal gland/ glands are excised with a scalpel.  I
know there is a lot of info out on this subject and I don't want to be
redundant with my info, but if this helps one ferret, maybe it's worth
it, especially if it's your beloved fuzzies that really needs this.

The mentioned procedure is ok for lefts but with rights can be tricky,
dangerous, and disasterous, even for a skilled surgeon.  Last year, we
started using lupron therapy and it has went well for all but two of our
shelter kids.  we unfortunately could not put them under for surgery and
tried the lupron as a last resort.  It was too late and they went on to
join their many friends at the Rainbow Bridge.  But... one of my favorite
Vets, Big, can I please mention her name....Dr. Paula Bumpers, went to
Florida to learn a new technique called Cryo-Surgery.  Still invasive,
yet not as radical, time consuming, or even remotely dangerous and tricky
as the other way.  And with rights, the heat from the blood in the vena
cava insulates the vena cava from actually freezing and the right is frozen
quickly and then closure.  No tissue is removed and the trauma is a lot
less.  I am so impressed with DR. Bumpers skill and just thought maybe if
other shelters had vets that would invest in Cryo units, this technique
would become more available as I understand it is not being done every
where.  I would be happy to forward any e-mail that is sent to me about
this to her.  I don't think it would be wise to give out her number as I
keep her really with busy sending ferrets her way, plus she works on the
shelter kids.  Forwarded e-mail she could answer at her discretion and
time availability.

Thanks for getting this out and loves to allthe fuzzies out there,

Ferretguy