From:
Mary Segalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 18:01:08 EST
I have read all the posts pro and con about the massive rescue that
took place this past summer. I too have questions, but it seems like
Lori deserves our respect for her willingness to get those McKids out
of that terrible situation when she had no idea if anyone would step
in to help her, she just trusted that the ferret community would come
through.

I went to Ohio to help for a few days and it was one of the most
wonderful, terrible, rewarding, devastating experiences I have ever
had. It was such a blessing to me I thanked the Lord constantly for
the privilege of being part of it. To see all those adorable little
warm furry fuzzies was intoxicating to someone whose greatest joy since
baby hood has been to cuddle warm furries. It was terrible to see so
many still in the McK cages. Those sweet babies were all so interested
in everything we did. Renee worked hard as did everyone there at the
time to get them out of those horrid boxes. We laughed, we cried, there
was a sense of bonding that instantly formed with those you worked
along side of. What a privilege!

Bottom line is I do have questions, but I wonder how many of us, had we
been in her situation, would have done any better. I think by the time
I got there she was burned out and overwhelmed. The numbers were down
just under 200. And that was a lot of work. I can't imagine having 600
there. Just to keep up with the ones at the "back 40" was an all day
constant job. Clean, feed, water, clean, feed water. Spritz. Ice.
Clean, feed, water. How does anyone do it with 600 ferrets? I would
have been happy skipping any and all dinners fed the volunteers, I
just wanted to be with the ferrets. They were why I drove 400 miles. I
would have liked to see some things done differently, but I was there
to help, not to run.

Besides Lori there were those there that stepped in and helped run the
thing. Cindy Scheidt was always there, leaving her own 16 ferrets at
home to support Lori and the rescue. Cindy drove back and forth from
KY, at times stayed at Lori's, at times stayed in a hotel, and, by
the way, was 100% a volunteer. Lisa back in MD was busy finding
destinations for the ferrets. Renee drove down from CT to help at the
"back 40", and she really lifted a lot of the burden of that place off
of Lori. She stayed and made sure all the ferrets were out of those
terrible cages, and later she drove back to Ohio again and loaded up
the last of the McKids and took them down south to Wolfy and shelters
beyond. All were volunteers. I am sure there were others who went above
and beyond, that I didn't get to meet, or hear about their part.

One of MY sayings is, "we are all doing the best we can." My best under
one circumstance may be different than my best under a different
circumstance. Your best may be better than my best. I believe Lori did
the best she could under the circumstances. To know that you have 600
ferrets you are responsible for, if they live or die, if they are fed
or hungry, to be sure they have water, that's overwhelming. If McK
had called someone else, would that person have agreed to give him
money for his feed bill, and gotten all those ferrets out of there so
quickly? Or would they have said, I can't do it, I can't afford it, I
could never take that on. I am ashamed to say I am not sure how I would
answer that question.

Hopefully we will get some answers. But even if we don't, to attack
her like this, well most people would not come forth, they would run
away. It's hard to stand up under an attack like this, and face your
attackers. She is a person who has faults and frailties like the rest
of us.

Can we please remember what this rescue is all about? It's all about
the ferrets! And with this new "resurrender" I have not heard one thing
about "LET'S FIND THESE POOR KIDS HOMES!!!!" All I have heard is we
need an accounting. At the moment, here's the account -
THERE ARE 65 MORE FERRETS THAT NEED FOREVER HOMES!
They have now been shuffled around and around, and their situation
needs love and attention. It is NOT over!! There are many still in
shelters all over the country, and now all these back at Lori's.

Lori, thank you for getting those McKids out of there. Thank you for
Fox, and Scarlet and Bear, who would never have graced my life if you
had not stuck your neck out. Thank you for being willing to rescue all
those ferrets when you had no idea how it would all work out. May Jesus
continue to be with you, He is the lifter of your head.

Mary in Virginia
owned by Bianka the White, And Fox, Scarlet and TeddyBear  McKid

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals Proverbs  12:10