From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 1995 12:16:57 -0400
Answer To:  Joseph Adam Brzostowski:

I'm not an expert in ferret ears have done a few but I am an experienced pet
groomer of 10 years.  I do not recommend the use of alcohol at all on their
ears for a couple of reasons.

1.  If there are any open sores in the ear canal it will burn and be quite
unpleasant to your pet

2.  If he were to struggle, you run the risk of getting it into his eyes.

3.  Alcohol is very drying.

I recommend an oil based cleaner.  I have used for the past 10 years
Ear-Oxide by Tomlyn.  In the hundreds of ears I've cleaned, no one has had
any allergic reactions to this product.  You could also use mineral oil or
even baby oil.  Ear-Oxide can be bought in any pet supply store.

When cleaning the ears, use a Q-tip and don't go into the ear canal at all.
You may cause damage to the ear.  Just swab around the edges in an "up and
out" manuever.

If there is excessive brown or bloody stuff in the ear you may want to have
your ferret checked for ear mites.

Good Luck.

Please, if I'm wrong on this, someone correct me.