From:
"Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:14:52 -0800
>From:    Todd Collins <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Attack Ferret!
>He does not bite hard, unless I flick his nose/side of head with a "NO".
 [and]
>From:    Steven M Haag <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Attack Ferret!
>What worked for me (after I just about broke Felisa's nose flicking it)
>was to pinch their ear between my finger nails and say NO! before setting
>them down when they bit too hard.

These two letters have been bothering me all day, I just have to state my
opinion on the subject.  I am not flaming anyone.

There is absolutely no need to employ corporal punishment when training a
ferret not to nip.  Flicking her nose and pinching her ears are cruel and
unnecessary.  You could permanently damage her by doing it.  You are also
teaching the ferret to associate you with pain.  I personally feel that
this kind of display represents nothing more than a loss of temper on the
part of the owner.

A responsible ferret owner realizes that he is in control of the situation
and it is up to him to help the ferret learn not to nip or bite.  This can
be done in a gentle, humane manner.  Bitter Apple is a wonderful product,
I've used it successfully on the little shelter ferret we adopted last
fall.  If that is not entirely successful use your proportionately enormous
brain to find a different solution without resorting to violence.

Time-outs work wonders; let them out of their cage more often -- maybe they
are nippy because they are cooped up too much; let your stern "NO" become a
deterrent by pairing it with time-outs.  Young kits also have a lot of
energy -- give them a CheWeasel, a Kong toy, or a tennis ball.  You are
in control of their environment, make it a place where they can wear
themselves out.

Yes, it takes more time and energy to figure out *why* your ferret is
biting than it takes to smack her in the nose or pinch her tiny ears, but
that's the point.  You are not a mother ferret, you are a human being who
should be responsible enough to make that extra effort.

-mel
(with the ferrets:  Brickbat, Seymore, Kili, and Bumblebee)