From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:06:08 +0100
The local RSPCA wont turn out themselves for just a ferret but they
sometimes give my phone number out to people who have found a ferret or
have a ferret which has taken up residence in the house or garden.

I received a phone call from a shopkeeper late on Friday evening, I was
able to give him some advice on how to trap the 'ferret' which was hiding
under some shelves in his shop.

On the Saturday afternoon the same shopkeeper phoned me again, he'd caught
the 'ferret' but the RSPCA wouldn't come an pick it up.  I eventually went
to pick it up.  The shop keeper had borrowed a live trap from the RSPCA.
(they had a charity shop just up the road from him).  I took one look at
the animal he'd caught.  It was jet black with a little white patch on its
chin.  I decided to take the mink (a kit of about 8 or 9 weeks old - I
think) and informed the shop keeper that I would contact the RSPCA myself.

I eventually got through to local control centre in Manchester by ten past
five.  I virtually got the 3rd degree from the woman there.  "Did we ask
you go out for the animal" etc.  Finally they agreed to come and pick up
the mink.

I dropped some dry ferret food in the trap for it, but I wasn't very
successful when it came to giving it water.  It screamed blue murder when I
offered it a water bottle, it just didn't know what to make of it.  It did
eat some of the food.  The RSPCA ambulance driver turned up around 7 P.M..
He transferred the mink into a crush cage.  We both agreed that it was a
beautiful little animal and neither of us were happy about the fate that
awaited the mink kit.

It's surprising how quickly the RSPCA can find the manpower to come out an
collect an animal that turned out not to be a ferret but couldn't find
anyone to collect a ferret!  The mink was going to euthanased, sorry folks
that's the only thing that can happen to the mink - it's a wild animal and
not a native species - it couldn't be re-homed with anyone.  far too
vicious.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare.
Membership Secretary & Editor of The National Ferret Welfare Society.
Web Site: www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm  last update 11 September
1999
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troy, Cameron, Carnath, Button,
Bill, Bobby, Jasper, Inga & Holly