From:
Andrew & Carrie Dishman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:05:45 -0500
I read an article a few days ago that really disterbed me.  It wote that
many shelters would not consider adoptions to a person in the military
because of the fequency in which they move and the fact that many bases
will not let ferrets live on base.  I don't think that is a fair judgement
to make.  Many families in this day in age move just as offten as a
military family and face the same problems with their residence not
accepting ferrets.  My husband is in the militay as I have said here
before and we own three very well taken care of fuzzies.

It really upset me for the fact that a few months ago I was looking to
adpot and almost all the shelters, after I filled out the aplication never
seemed to get back to me.  Now I know ferrets, I have done all the reaserch
and asked questions when I couldn't find the answers.  I don't find it
right that just beacuse of my husbands occupation we would not be
considered "good parents".  The only two states that we would have to worry
about is if my husband was to be sent to California or Hawii.  And the
likely hood of that would be the same as any other working person.  The
fact that many bases say that ferrets are not allowed on base is untrue.
The base we currently live in states in the housing mannual that ferrets
are not allowed on base.  All I had to do was call the vet and explain
that we already owned ferrets and they were willing to work with us.

My babies are all registered here on base and have been seen by the base
vet.  We take the kids to a ferret doctor off base and everyone is happy.
If the day came when a base was not willing to accept ferrets we have
other options, and none of them include giving up our ferrets.

I just wanted to share/vent this in the hopes if there is any shelters
that think this way give a military family a chance.  They could be the
best home a fuzzie ever hadl.

Carrie, Batty, Sniffles, and Guiness(buckethead)