From:
Ann Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1993 20:49:16 -0500
As of late today (December 22), Rita McDowell still does not have an
attorney who will represent her. Apparently the judge and other local
authorities have intimidated all the local attorneys into backing off from
the case.  Her husband has been put on indefinite suspension without pay by
the sheriff's office, even though by state law this can only be done if the
officer in question had been indicted in a criminal case.  The ferret was
not turned in, and the court-imposed deadline has expired.  The McDowells
are waiting to be arrested, at which time they face having their children
picked up by county welfare.  The only bright spot at the moment is the
case is beginning to attract a lot of media attention, including the K.C.
Star, local TV news, and the AP.  We are still working on finding them an
attorney, and I have advised them to contact the American Civil Liberties
Union in Kansas City.  I personally have not heard of such kangaroo court
proceedings since the life and times of Judge Roy Bean.

Rita and Mike are totally devoted to their ferrets, and the entire issue
has gone past the bite case, which is about as lame as they come.  The
state has still not even presented any evidence that there WAS a bite, the
name of the "victim" is still unknown because the "victim" has refused to
come forward, and there is not even any proof the nip broke the skin.  But
what it has come to now is an absolutely massive violation of the
McDowells' rights as citizens, and totally uncalled for efforts by the
local health and judicial authorities to destroy both them and their
ferrets.  In the face of all this, the McDowells are sticking bravely to
their guns in a heroic effort to make a difference in Kansas.

I'll continue to post as I get updates.  If anyone has any ideas, or can
help in any way, please let me know.  I'll be checking my e-mailbox
regularly (CompuServe 70367,3461).
--Ann Davis, League of Independent Ferret Enthusiasts.