From:
Jim Lapeyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 1994 07:57:40 -0400
        To Chris V., whose Scooter was rebellious about the litter-box:
sounds like you're doing the right thing.  Just supervise him closely, and
whenever he tries to go, pick him up and throw him in the nearest
litter-box (we have them liberally scattered throughout the apartment).
Keeping him confined to a room is helpful in that you can watch him for
twenty minutes or so and "head him off" before he picks up a magazine and
backs into a corner.
        You should know that many of us have found that ferrets go through
good and bad phases of litter training.  I don't know if they are testing
our resolve or what, but the solution seems to be going back to square one
and litter-training until they get it right.
        Also, make sure you're using a litter-box with sides low enough
for him to crawl in and out of comfortably: it makes an enormous
difference.  Somebody with a more systematic mind than mine (Mark
Hamilton? ;-)) should probably put together:

        THE OFFICIAL INDEXED & ANNOTATED FML LITTER-TRAINING GUIDE
                (With Special Trouble-Shooting Section)

I know I'd buy it.
Otter