From:
Chris Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:36:05 -0500
Just had my most recent ferret scare yesterday evening.  AFter taking Loki
outside for a walk since we are having gorgeous weather I brought her back
in and took her leash off.  I had not had her collar on for a week while I
was getting her a new tag.  Well I finally had the new tag and left her
collar on.  She immediately ran went under my kitchen cupboard.  I was on my
way to class and wanted her to come out so I started squeeking her favorite
toy.  I saw a ferret head but she wouldn't come out any further.  Then she
started scratching and I knew that she "thought" she was stuck.  so I tried
to get her collar off.  No deal.

Then my SO came over.  He started squeeking the toy (as if I hadn't thought
of it) more digging and then she started hissing.  That's when we knew it
was take the cabinet apart or else.  So we go out the tool box and started
expanding the hole.  Finally she came out.  I could tell she was scared
because she stayed absolutely still in my arms - she *never* does this.

So after class I blocked the hole up and let Loki back out.  Darn if she
wasn't trying to dig her way back in.  so now I have to figure out how to
keep the hole covered, beside standing in front of the cupboard and covering
it myself.  other than this spot, my apartment is ferret proofed (and until
not long ago, I thought the entire place was ferret proofed, so I guess I'd
better keep my eyes OPEN!).

but this weekend it's off to visit so Loki can search other houses for neat
hidey-holes.  Which means I follow her around going "No, Loki, stop it." and
everyone else says, "She'll be ok, relax."

Of course it isn't as bad as when my Dad lets Loki have run over his entire
house and then says to me as I follow her around "I didn't follow you around
when you were a baby.  Let her have fun." and I tell him "Yeah, but I didn't
fit under cupboards and behind cabinets..."

cheers
chris and Loki