From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 00:03:50 -0400
I've been lucky for the most part in that my ferret has usually used the same
corners consistently.  I've used newspaper in these corners, which makes easy
cleanup (as long as she hits the newspaper, sometimes we go NEXT to the
newpaper).  Unfortunately one of these corners is near the front door.  My
ferret sometimes hit the newspaper, and sometimes missed it. Whats a ferret
owner to do... I KNOW!  Plastic runner!

On to Home Depot I go, proud that I've thought of such a bright idea to make
rug cleaning a job I'll never have to do again.  Home I go with my new prize.
Oops, a lil too big.  Easy to fix, cut it to size.  I'm so PROUD of myself.

In walks said ferret, looks at me, looks at plastic runner.  I take my ferret
and walk her across the ferret and onto newspaper and say "Here, this is
where you go".  Of course I got one of those strange ferret (stupid people)
looks, and off she runs as fast as she can off the plastic.  I figure, oh
well, she'll come back later, she always does.

As I'm sitting on the couch, in comes said ferret.  Over to corner near
plastic runner.  I think, "Oh good, look, she's going to go on the plastic
and use her newspaper".  WRONG.  Ferret squats in front of doorway, near edge
of plastic runner, and does her duty.  ARRGGHH, where did I go wrong?

My SO proceeds to explain "potty on plastic" terms to ferret.  Ferrets acts
as tho plastic is an electric floor.  We give up...

Several weeks later I decide to extend more newspaper to edge of plastic.  As
I was downloading my email for the night, in shuffles ferret.  She proceeds
to walk on extended newspaper, onto second newspaper, and YEAH, done duty!
Now I have two sheets of newspaper in front of my door, on top of a plastic
runner.  Oh well, whatever works!  Anyone know why my ferret might not like
to walk on plastic floor runner?

Owner in CA
  and Masked Ferret (now a plastic potty user)