From:
Jamie Irwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:49:14 -0500
Hey,
Please know that, like BIG said, Sugar Gliders are not Monkeys.  I had
the opportunity to purchase a monkey, and being the obbsessed animal
lover I am I had to do it.  Well $6,000.00, one trip to Las Vegas and a
White Throated Capuchin Monkey (like on FRIENDS) later I had to learn on
my own about Monkeys.  Please know that owning a monkey is very very
"over-rated"!!!  My monkey attached her self to my mother.  (which is ok
for now, but she will out live my mom and be heart broken when my mother
goes) No one told me that they can become attached to one person.
Monkeys can live 50-60 years.  She is only 3years old now.  She could, if
she wanted to, break the bones in my hand with her teeth.  It was very
hard for us to find a vet that will see exotic animals.  Please don't get
me wrong, there are people out there in the world who are ment to take
care of a monkey.  But be prepared to bottle feed up to 4 times a day for
most of the 1st year and then they need fresh fruits, vegetables and
Monkey Busicuits two times a day.  As well as a lot of attention and
training.  The person I got my monkey from had a show on Animal Planet
and on her show her monkey Mugui took baths, wore clothes and diapers.
My monkey does not do any of that stuff.  And after talking to my vet,
she really doesn't need too.  Please think of your family if you really
want to get a monkey.  Because that monkey may out live you and then sad
as it may be it might become a burden to your family.  Please do alot of
re-search.  Had I done the same, I don't know now that I would have
gotten her.  Monkeys are just not the type of animal that needs to be
sold.  They are very complex animals that deserve the best care possible
and as much as we may try, with the lives that people live today, they
will not get the attention they deserve.  I am only speaking from
experience.

Jamie