From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:09:54 -0400
We all know the economy has caused a trickle down effect on all animal
shelters, especially ferret shelters as they are home spun and run.
Most of the kids here are older and not that many folks out there are
willing to take on a ferret knowing they may only have one to three
years at best with their new furkid.

I've basically stopped taking in new surrenders as adoption requests
have diminished and the inn is full. But I am still taking in hardship
cases.

One little guy's mom went into the hospital with a brain tumor & her
parents were going to "return him to the wild" if I didn't take him in.
Another little boy (aprox 4 yrs old) came in with the crappiest food &
in poor condition. Had to rush him to the Vet this morning, where he is
now on IV fluids and we don't know yet what is wrong with him. Poor
nutrition is possible cause. Both boys were being fed the cheapest food
on the market because (pick one...) that's all they could afford, or
find, or felt like buying, or didn't know ferrets shouldn't eat store
brand cat food... who knows at this point.

Just got back from sitting at the Vet most of the day while waiting on
a work in time slot & on blood work results only to find this email in
my inbox: