From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:59:48 -0800
Following below is Edward Lipinski's response to questions about choosing
to vasectomizing one's ferret.  It is felt appropriate to post this
response since Lipinski's previous posting on this subject seems to deal
with only the benefits of using vasectors in limited situations, even tho
the avant garde ferreters have chosen to allow their two ferrets, a fertile
female and a vasectomized male to coexist simultaneously in a communal
envirnoment experiencing a more "natural" and a longer, healthful and
albeit contented and happier life.  The question is, does the life style of
ferret "free love" and reduced vet bills compensate for the disadvantages
described following?

>Right now they really stink, do vasecetomized ferrets still go into
>rut, and do they still secrete the extra oils?

Dear Rxx,

The answers to your two questions are:      (1)  Yes    and  (2)  Yes.
Apparently as long as those testes are left in the scrotum, there is the
characteristic odor of the male.  In addition, the vasectomized male will
continue to "mark" territory with small droplets of his dribbled and
usually smeared urine, as would the viripotent intact male.  Viripotent
means essentially the ability to cause pregnancy in the female, sometimes
erronously referred to as "fertile." As you may be aware, the only
difference between an intact male and a vasectomized male is the surgical
interruption of the means of delivering spermatazoa into the vagina by
cutting out a significant section of the dual tubes that conduct spem cells
from the testes to the penis.  These dual set of tubes are called the vas
deferens.  When they are cut and sectioned, the vas deferens, yes it does
make a vast difference.  Most, if not nealy all, owners of vasectomized
ferrets will, however, have the anal sacks and the scent glands surgically
removed at the same time the ferret is undergoing the vasectomy.  This is
of significance if the male ferret is to have free-run of the household.
However, here at FNW, the ferrets do not have free-run of the househould
but are instead confined to the daylight basement "ferretarium" to free-run
when thay are not confined to their or to the serviced female's cage.

Also one should be aware that the vasectomized male ferret retains all of
the libido of the intact or viripotent male as well as the dominating
behavior.  Thus any fixed ferret that the vasectomized male encounters will
be victim of his superior strength, vigor, and Alpha status.

It is very unusual for fixed and vasectomized ferrets to meet and mix on
equal terms of acceptable behavior.  Any fixed ferret that has Alpha status
aspirations is quicky Beta-sized after meeting and interacting with a
vasectomized ferret, all other factors being equal.  And perhaps of more
importance, the interaction of two vasectomized ferrets of approximate
similar size and age is extremely vigorous and may result in injury to one
or both males.  The two males will fight each other for Alpha status until
the one is completely ravished or a draw results with both ferrets being so
exhausted they can no longer lift their heads off the floor.  They lie
there, nose to nose, paws spread-eagled and belly flat on the floor,
panting heavily and seem to be trying to stare each other down.

I appreciate your asking the questions about the odor of vasectomized males
as opposed to neutered males.  This has given me the opportunity to show
the "other side" of owning "vasectors" ("V-hobs") in comparison to the
advantages of keeping "vasectors" in a ferret breeding colony and a ferret
shelter.  I should think that one should choose very carefully before
deciding on vasectomizing one's ferret.

Edward Lipinski  Ferret Endowment for Research, Rehabilitation, Education
& Training Society, NorthWest, aka F.E.R.R.E.T.S. N.W., or more simply:
FNW.